[Frameworks] RE : My new book on Brakhage, and related screenings

Colinet andré andre.colinet at telenet.be
Fri Dec 30 02:43:07 UTC 2022

Wonderful !!!

Envoyé à partir de Courrier pour Windows

De : Fred Camper
Envoyé le :vendredi 30 décembre 2022 00:30
À : frameworks at film-gallery.org
Objet :[Frameworks] My new book on Brakhage, and related screenings

I am pleased to announce the publication of my book, Seeking Brakhage. This project was proposed to me by Scott Hammen of Eyewash Books in Paris, who did much of the work on it, and consists of a collection of almost all my writing on the filmmaker Stan Brakhage, from 1966, when I was 18, to 2021. It is 455 pages and includes 56 color images, scans of his films which I selected from the many that I have made over the course of two decades. The book includes an introduction by P. Adams Sitney, who, I am glad to note, offers some critiques and different perspectives, and will be available as print copies (expensive because of the cost of print on demand) and ebooks ($20) starting January 14, which is the ninetieth anniversary of Brakhage’s birth. There is also a recording of a Zoom session that begins with my introduction to Brakhage and to the book and continues with responses from several film professors at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wm1-pG3Dagg
This publication date will be marked by screenings of Brakhage films in New York on January 14 and 15, in programs I curated at the Museum of the Moving Image and Anthology Film Archives. Links to these programs are on the main page of my Web site, http://www.fredcamper.com/ The first program presents my idea of some of Brakhage’s most important, and mostly lesser-known, films, and the second, films of no less importance but only in 8mm and 35mm.
The curators at both venues asked that I also show my own almost never screened films, and the same program of my five early 16mm films, made between ages 19 and 21 and recently restored due to the excellent work of the Chicago Film Society, will be shown at both locations on January 14 and 16. I will offer comments at all four screenings.
The book will make the most sense to those who know and are interested in Brakhage’s work. If you don’t know his films, they are in my view, and that of some others, one of the major achievements among all of twentieth century art. There is a Criterion DVD set, which I worked on. My introductory essay for that set, which is in the book but can also be read at no charge at  https://www.criterion.com/current/posts/272-by-brakhage-the-act-of-seeing, is I think my best general introduction to Brakhage. Copies of his films, mostly of inferior or unwatchably bad quality, can also be found on YouTube.
My fondest hope for this book as that it encourages more screenings of Brakhage’s work on film, and I am open to considering curating and appearing at such events. As for the book, I am hoping that it will be purchased in either or both formats by university libraries, so if you have connections to such a library and wish to recommend its purchase, please do so.
Fred Camper
Chicago