[Frameworks] Peertube for experimental filmmaking?

Pip Chodorov pip at re-voir.com
Sun Nov 20 14:58:41 UTC 2022

Hi Florian,

I do not have any experience with Peertube except that it is where I found hosted a wealth of pirated content by experimental filmmakers whom I distribute, culled from our DVD editions and others. It was quite difficult to remove (because anyone can post anything there). At least when we find pirated content on YouTube, we can flag it and it is removed immediately. It is a sad game of whack-a-mole that has to played regularly in order to protect author’s rights (though I have nothing against those filmmakers who feel flattered to be pirated, it is difficult to sell their DVDs in that case).

I am sensitive to your concerns about Vimeo, though practically it is still a good technical solution for hosting videos.

The mobile app I developed for Re:Voir last year (“Re:Voir Online”) is a platform for us to allow people to see the films we distribute in the case that they have no DVD player, or live in a place where it is hard to find DVDs, and do not mind watching films on their phone or tablet. It does a service for those viewers as well as for the filmmakers wishing their films to be seen more widely. It is also possible for us to host films that we have not published on DVD, and there are currently quite a few films on the app that are not available on other media. Sometimes we want to distribute films for which a DVD edition would not be justified. Of course this is a proprietary app that requires a distribution agreement with Re:Voir, but for some this could be a useful solution. I imagined opening part of it up to create what could be called an “internet filmmakers’ cooperative” but this will have to wait until there are enough subscribers for the app to be economically self-sufficient. All this to say: you are welcome to submit your films to us for distribution if you want your films online to be monetized.

Since I founded FrameWorks, I have been interested in online solutions for filmmakers to connect and share their work, but I do not believe there is an open source initiative for experimental films. It could have been Ubu, except that they were also pirating our content. Let us know if you find anything!

Pip Chodorov