[Frameworks] The East Village Detective: On Bill Morrison's Historical Poetics

Seth Fein seth at sevenlocalfilm.com
Wed Sep 7 17:17:12 UTC 2022

Dear fellow experimental filmmakers

I've published The East Village Detective: On Bill Morrison's Historical
Poetics
<https://lareviewofbooks.org/article/east-village-detective-on-bill-morrison-historical-poetics/>
in the Los Angeles Review of Books last week; my essay works around
Morrison's most recent work (The Village Detective: A Song Cycle) to survey
how his career demonstrates the place of experimental film in the practice
of history (not just film history, but history period).  It brings
Morrison's work into conversation with that of other experimental
filmmakers, mainly Joseph Cornell, as well as conventional "historical"
documentarians, such as Ken Burns.

In any case, I'd like to share it with y'all, and I will be pleased to hear
any feedback from you.  Too, of course, please share it with all whom you
feel might find it interesting for their own practice, scholarship, or
teaching.

Best wishes,

Seth Fein
sevenlocalfilm.com