[Frameworks] This Week in Avant Garde Cinema: August 12 - 20, 2023

This Week thisweek.in.avantgardecinema at gmail.com
Sun Aug 13 23:50:16 UTC 2023

View this email in your browser
<https://mailchi.mp/11ca1637cb24/this-week-in-avant-garde-cinema-10304498?e=857b71a9cb>

*This Week [August 12 - 20, 2023] in Avant Garde Cinema*

To receive the weekly listing directly via email rather than through
Frameworks, just hit Subscribe
<https://list-manage.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4b83d0e66f4638a082b103d27&id=091193278b&e=857b71a9cb>
.

*DEADLINES APPROACHING*
**** Enter upcoming calls for entry here
<https://list-manage.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4b83d0e66f4638a082b103d27&id=e31947ee6d&e=857b71a9cb>
****
*sorted by submission deadline*
Ongoing Films for Ukrainian Border Crossings
<bccffpoland at gmail.com?subdir=calls&filename=2.ann&accepts=yes%0a?subdir=calls&filename=2.ann&accepts=yes%20?subdir=calls&filename=2.ann&accepts=yes>
(No Dialogue + PG)
08.15.2023 Istanbul International Experimental Film Festival
<https://list-manage.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4b83d0e66f4638a082b103d27&id=b7fe5d3ce1&e=857b71a9cb>
(9th Deadline)
08.23.2023 Kinoskop – Analog Experimental Film Festival
<https://list-manage.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4b83d0e66f4638a082b103d27&id=d5380300ab&e=857b71a9cb>
(Late Deadline)
08.31.2023 Alchemy Film and Moving Festival
<https://list-manage.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4b83d0e66f4638a082b103d27&id=cbce12b12e&e=857b71a9cb>
(Early Deadline)
09.01.2023 Cauldron International Film and Video Festival
<https://list-manage.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4b83d0e66f4638a082b103d27&id=254b8086ee&e=857b71a9cb>
(Early Deadline)
09.03.2023 PRISME #6
<https://list-manage.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4b83d0e66f4638a082b103d27&id=9823a128d9&e=857b71a9cb>
09.06.2023 Punto de Vista
<https://list-manage.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4b83d0e66f4638a082b103d27&id=3637e6603d&e=857b71a9cb>
09.08.2023 Light Matter Film Festival
<https://list-manage.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4b83d0e66f4638a082b103d27&id=b5abd9b32f&e=857b71a9cb>
09.08.2023 Slamdance Film Festival
<https://list-manage.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4b83d0e66f4638a082b103d27&id=913367c7d0&e=857b71a9cb>
(Late Deadline)
09.08.2023 Coney Island Film Festival
<https://list-manage.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4b83d0e66f4638a082b103d27&id=9c9e5cfa9c&e=857b71a9cb>
(Early Deadline)
10.05.2023 International Short Film Festival Oberhausen
<https://www.kurzfilmtage.de/en/festival/submission/#c3164> (Early Deadline)
11.01.2023 Experiments in Cinema <https://www.experimentsincinema.org/>

*EVENTS*
**** Enter your event announcements here
<https://list-manage.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4b83d0e66f4638a082b103d27&id=d0a37f2744&e=857b71a9cb>
****
*complicated sorting but a true attempt, enjoy!*

This week's programs (summary):

   - Refresh
   <https://list-manage.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4b83d0e66f4638a082b103d27&id=3c1874c48b&e=857b71a9cb>
[March
   2022 - Spring 2023, Denver, CO]
   - Inheritance
   <https://list-manage.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4b83d0e66f4638a082b103d27&id=72e6ba6203&e=857b71a9cb>
[June
   22, 2023-Feb 2024, New York, NY]
   - Chicago Seen Volume 16
   <https://list-manage.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4b83d0e66f4638a082b103d27&id=4b2e9a7b09&e=857b71a9cb>
[August
   12, Chicago, IL]
   - Portraiture And Short visual Diaries
   <https://list-manage.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4b83d0e66f4638a082b103d27&id=dc6dfbc571&e=857b71a9cb>
[August
   13, Washington, DC]
   - EC: No President
   <https://list-manage.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4b83d0e66f4638a082b103d27&id=415e2856c9&e=857b71a9cb>
[August
   15, New York, NY]
   - EC: Carriage Trade
   <https://list-manage.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4b83d0e66f4638a082b103d27&id=64ece3dc83&e=857b71a9cb>
[August
   15, New York, NY]
   - Harry Smith "American Magus"
   <https://list-manage.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4b83d0e66f4638a082b103d27&id=92f8088424&e=857b71a9cb>
[August
   16, San Francisco, CA]
   - Five Films By Bruce Baillie
   <https://list-manage.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4b83d0e66f4638a082b103d27&id=42843b43d1&e=857b71a9cb>
[August
   16, San Francisco, CA]
   - Cinema of William Burroughs
   <https://list-manage.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4b83d0e66f4638a082b103d27&id=e26bb02eeb&e=857b71a9cb>
[August
   16, San Francisco, CA]
   - The Early Films of Alice Guy Blanche And Others
   <https://list-manage.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4b83d0e66f4638a082b103d27&id=8a7856c5f5&e=857b71a9cb>
[August
   16, San Francisco, CA]
   - Off The Wall @ 725 Ponce—Launch!
   <https://list-manage.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4b83d0e66f4638a082b103d27&id=47febc23f1&e=857b71a9cb>
[August
   18, Atlanta, GA]
   - Lilan Yang: Nowhere Near
   <https://list-manage.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4b83d0e66f4638a082b103d27&id=c0b91e114a&e=857b71a9cb>
[August
   18-26, Cambridge, MA]
   - ...Like Clockwork (Time Ba$Ed)
   <https://list-manage.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4b83d0e66f4638a082b103d27&id=10507c32fc&e=857b71a9cb>
[August
   19, Chicago, IL]
   - The Wyvernwood Chronicles: Part 2
   <https://list-manage.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4b83d0e66f4638a082b103d27&id=7bf72b447e&e=857b71a9cb>
[August
   19, Los Angeles, CA]
   - The Long Conversation
   <https://list-manage.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4b83d0e66f4638a082b103d27&id=781811f1ea&e=857b71a9cb>
   [ongoing, online]
   - 6x6 Project: Artists' Moving Image Works
   <https://list-manage.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4b83d0e66f4638a082b103d27&id=aca8b53591&e=857b71a9cb>
[ongoing,
   online]

*STARTING BEFORE AUGUST 12, 2023*

*March 2022 - Summer 2023*
Venue type: *Live, physical event*
Denver Museum of Nature & Science
<https://list-manage.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4b83d0e66f4638a082b103d27&id=72f7264bc9&e=857b71a9cb>
open during Museum hours,
The Summit Stage and Expedition Health, Denver Museum of Nature & Science,
2001 Colorado Blvd, Denver, CO
*REFRESH: *CYANOBACTERIA OFFER PERSPECTIVE ON OURSELVES
This art-science collaboration looks at the microscopic ways cyanobacteria
move, on an individual level and in colonies. If we study these organisms
and their varied forms, we might discover ways to improve our future.

On display at the Denver Museum of Nature & Science in the Summit Stage and
Expedition Health, March 2022 - Fall 2022

The cells in your body take in oxygen and sweep out waste products like
carbon dioxide (CO2). Microscopic cyanobacteria use photosynthesis to work
in reverse, breathing in CO2 and pumping out oxygen.

Three billion years ago, cyanobacteria created Earth’s oxygenfilled
atmosphere, supporting the evolution of creatures like us. Today, they
provide one-quarter of the planet’s oxygen, and cyanobacteria like
spirulina provide us with food.

Researchers believe that cyanobacteria —which need only sunlight, CO2, and
water to thrive— could offer solutions to our changing climate. They might
help reduce CO2 on a grand scale, contribute to biofuel production, and
support long-term space travel. This diverse group of organisms offers a
symbolic warning as well: when colonies of cyanobacteria become too dense
or stressed, they can run out of nutrients or be destroyed by their own air
pollution.

Made with the collaborative efforts of filmmaker Erin Espelie and the
Jeffrey Cameron Laboratory at the University of Colorado Boulder, which
created a customized microscope system specifically tailored for long-term
growth and quantitative imaging of cyanobacterial cells; with special
thanks to microbiologist and cinematographer Evan Johnson and artists Nima
Bahrehmand, Travis Austin, Will Alstetter, as well as NEST Studio for the
Arts.

*___________________________________________________________________*

*June 22, 2023 - February 2024*
Venue type: *Live, physical event*
Whitney Museum of American Art
<https://list-manage.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4b83d0e66f4638a082b103d27&id=c50b077db0&e=857b71a9cb>
99 Gansevoort St, New York, NY
*Inheritance*
Inheritance traces the profound impacts of legacy and the past across
familial, historical, and aesthetic lines. Featuring new acquisitions and
rarely-seen works from the Whitney collection by forty-three leading
artists, the exhibition includes paintings, sculptures, videos,
photographs, and time-based media installations from the 1970s to today.
This diverse array of works consider what has been passed on and how it may
shift, change, or live again.

Drawing inspiration from Ephraim Asili’s 2020 film of the same title,
Inheritance reflects on multiple meanings of the word, whether celebratory
or painful, from one era, person, or idea to the next. The exhibition takes
a layered approach to storytelling by interweaving narrative with
documentary and personal experiences with historical and generational
events. A group of works examining the cycle from birth to death opens the
exhibition, while other galleries take up different kinds of lineages, such
as how artists borrow from and remake art history or unspool legacies of
racialized violence and their recurrences.

The poet Rio Cortez speaks of being “framed by our future knowing”—even as
we sit in this moment, we slide backward and forward in time, between our
foremothers and the descendants we will never know. Rather than passively
accepting our current state, the artists whose work is on view here ask:
How did we get here, as individuals and as a society, and where are we
going?

Artists featured in this exhibition include Ephraim Asili, Sadie Barnette,
Kevin Beasley, Diedrick Brackens, Beverly Buchanan, Widline Cadet, Andrea
Carlson, Jonathan Lyndon Chase, Ralston Crawford, Mary Beth Edelson, John
Edmonds, Kevin Jerome Everson, Chitra Ganesh, Todd Gray, Wade Guyton, David
Hartt, Emily Jacir, Wakeah Jhane, Mary Kelly, Deana Lawson, An-My Lê,
Maggie Lee, Sherrie Levine, Dindga McCannon, Ana Mendieta, Thaddeus Mosley,
Lorraine O’Grady, Kambui Olujimi, John Outterbridge, Pat Phillips, Faith
Ringgold, Sophie Rivera, Carissa Rodriguez, Cameron Rowland, Sturtevant,
Hank Willis Thomas, Clarissa Tossin, Kara Walker, Joan Wallace, Carrie Mae
Weems, WangShui, and Bruce and Norman Yonemoto.

This exhibition is organized by Rujeko Hockley, Arnhold Associate Curator
at the Whitney Museum of American Art.

*SATURDAY, AUGUST 12, 2023* Venue type: *Live, physical event*
Chicago Filmmakers
<https://list-manage.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4b83d0e66f4638a082b103d27&id=40d8150b77&e=857b71a9cb>
7PM Central,
1326 W Hollywood Ave, Chicago, IL 60660
*CHICAGO SEEN VOLUME 16 | IN-PERSON (8/12)*
We are thrilled to present another edition of our local film series Chicago
Seen (formerly known as Spirit of Chicago). Chicago Filmmakers invites free
submissions all year round from Chicago-based filmmakers and/or films about
Chicago. Volume 16 features work by Aidan Karstadt, Andrew Paul Davis, M.
Woods, George Ellzey Jr., Jejoon Park, Jesse Rothenberg & Zo Zosak, Josh
Weissbach, Juli Del Prete, and Nick Schoenbrodt.

Following the screening, the Chicago Seen programming team will moderate a
conversation with the filmmakers in attendance. Chicago Seen programming
team: Sofia Migaly, Jacob Shevitz, Bella Miller, Mariam Atallah, and
McGuire Price. Lead programmer: Grace K. Schuler.

*HAVING A NICE DAY* (Dir. Jesse Rothenberg & Zo Zosak) 2023
Becca and Tom's nice day at the park is interrupted when a golf ball lands
in their hummus. Mark emerges from the woods looking for his ball with his
evil boss Jordan on his tail. Jordan insists Mark hit the ball out of the
hummus but what no one knows is that Tom has hidden an engagement ring in
the dip and will do anything to preserve his big day.

*CAROLINE* (Dir. Juli Del Prete) 2022
A young actress's audition for a major movie takes an unexpected turn.

*BOSOM* (Dir. George Ellzey Jr.) 2023
When estranged sisters Jade & Amber attend their mother's funeral,
long-held resentments and painful secrets come out into the open.

*“AS ONE SOWS SO SHALL HE REAP”* (Dir. Jejoon Park) 2023
What happens when you plant meat in a pot?

*TO ALL THOSE* (Dir. Josh Weissbach) 2020
A city symphony in miniature, dedicated to anyone who has gotten lost in
thought while stuck on the midwinter train. to all that unfolds in those
private reveries.

*EATEN* (Dir. Andrew Paul Davis) 2023
Music Video for Andrew Paul Davis' 2023 song, "Eaten."

*ONE NIGHT ON DOVER ST.* (Dir. Aidan Karstadt) 2022
A young tenant must fend off his neat freak of a Neighbor.

*MELENCOLIA 1: THE END OF THE ALPHABET* (Dir. M. Woods) 2023
A sadness rolls over me as I gaze into the entrails of this pandora's box
and my shadow cranks a lost appendage for the sake of ontological tangents
and bewitched spaces. I want you to witness The Hallucinatory Zone of
Neo-Liberal death hounds and lost gazes that expand and contract time. I
was nothing, so nothing was lost.

*OOPS! I’VE BEEN DRIVEN MUNDANE* (Dir. Nick Schoenbrodt) 2023
Morkie, an aging stop-motion animator, lives a passive, hermetic life in
the isolated garage she rents from her botanist great-aunt Mildred. But her
quiet routine is thrown into chaos when Mildred tasks her with caring for
the surrealistic flora of her personal collection. As more and more of
these plants are delivered, with increasingly elaborate instructions for
care, this minor inconvenience becomes a constant regimen that devours
Morkie’s waking life and drives her to the brink of madness.

*SUNDAY, AUGUST 13, 2023* Venue type: *Live, physical event*
National Gallery of Art
<https://list-manage.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4b83d0e66f4638a082b103d27&id=ab94f4a33e&e=857b71a9cb>
2pm ET,
National Gallery of Art, East Building Auditorium, 4th St and Constitution
Ave NW, Washington, DC
*Portraiture and Short Visual Diaries*
This selection of 10 short film prints on loan from Canyon Cinema and
Pacific Film Archive celebrates the mobile nature of the 16mm camera, and
the limitations of its mechanism that allow for true experimentation and
play. Curated and projected by Margaret Rorison.

*New York Near Sleep for Saskia* (Peter Hutton, 1972, 16mm, 10 minutes)
*Ciao Bella* (Betzy Bromberg, 1978, 16mm, 13 minutes)
*Elixir* (Amy Halpern, 2012, 16mm, 7 minutes)
*Elasticity* (Chick Strand, 1976, 16mm, 25 minutes)
*Sacred Heart of Jesus* (Freude, 1965, 16mm, 6 minutes)
*Flight* (Greta Snider, 1996, 16mm, 5 minutes)
*Piensa En Mí* (Alexandra Cuesta, 2009, 16mm, 15 minutes)
*Goat* (Paige Taul, 2021, 16mm to digital, 3 minutes)
*The Leaden Echo and the Golden Echo* (Margaret Tait, 1955, 16mm, 7 minutes)
*Les Tournesols* (Rose Lowder, 1982, 16mm, 3 minutes)
Total running time approximately 95 minutes.

Part of the Summer of 16mm: Celebrating 100 Years of Film series

*TUESDAY, AUGUST 15, 2023* Venue type: *Live, physical event*
Anthology Film Archives
<https://list-manage.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4b83d0e66f4638a082b103d27&id=563b9f62ed&e=857b71a9cb>
7pm ET,
32 Second Avenue, New York, NY
*EC: NO PRESIDENT*
by Jack Smith, 1967-70, 45 min, 16mm. Restored print courtesy of the
Gladstone Gallery

*NO PRESIDENT* was Jack Smith’s third feature film. In this version,
restored by filmmaker Jerry Tartaglia, the scenes alternate between
elaborate tableaux shot at Smith’s Greene Street loft with found footage of
former presidential candidate Wendell Willkie. The film features
underground stars, including Tally Brown, Jerry Sims, Irving Rosenthal,
Donna Kerness, Mario Montez, and Charles Henri Ford.

“The last of Jack Smith’s 16mm features – austerely black and white, more
an exercise in sensibility than craft – evolved out of his November 1967
program, Horror and Fantasy at Midnight. Like Ken Jacobs’s *STAR SPANGLED
TO DEATH*, Horror and Fantasy at Midnight would mix original material with
found footage including newsreel footage of the 1940 Republican Convention
that nominated Wendell Willkie to run for president. By late March 1968,
Horror and Fantasy had coalesced into Kidnapping and Auctioning of Wendell
Willkie (sic) by the Love Bandit – an all black-and-white presentation
starring writer Irving Rosenthal as the infant Wendell abducted by a
mustachioed pirate and sold on the block of a slave market. In early
January 1969, the movie had its theatrical premiere as *NO PRESIDENT*. For
musical accompaniment Smith played records and also used the soundtracks of
the found material, albeit slowed down for being projected at silent speed.
The surviving version *NO PRESIDENT* alternates scenes shot in the Plaster
Foundation with found footage – including a Lowell Thomas travelogue of
Sumatra, a clip, apparently from the late 1940s, of an unidentified couple
singing ‘A Sunday Kind of Love’, and newsreel footage of candidate Willkie
addressing the future Farmers of America. […] Parker Tyler would hail *NO
PRESIDENT* as ‘an even more daring exploitation of the themes in *FLAMING
CREATURES*, and the Selection Committee for the newly established Anthology
Film Archives voted to include both in its canon of essential cinema.” –J.
Hoberman

*___________________________________________________________________*

Venue type: *Live, physical event*
Anthology Film Archives
<https://list-manage.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4b83d0e66f4638a082b103d27&id=5dfc22b858&e=857b71a9cb>
8:30pm ET,
32 Second Avenue, New York, NY
*EC: CARRIAGE TRADE*
by Warren Sonbert, 1973 version, 61 min, 16mm

“With *CARRIAGE TRADE*, Sonbert began to challenge the theories espoused by
the great Soviet filmmakers of the 1920s; he particularly disliked the
‘knee-jerk’ reaction produced by Eisensteinian montage. In both lectures
and writings about his own style of editing, Sonbert described *CARRIAGE
TRADE* as ‘a jig-saw puzzle of postcards to produce varied displaced
effects.’ This approach, according to Sonbert, ultimately affords the
viewer multi-faceted readings of the connections between shots through the
spectator’s assimilation of ‘the changing relations of the movement of
objects, the gestures of figures, familiar worldwide icons, rituals and
reactions, rhythm, spacing, and density of images.” –Jon Gartenberg

[PLEASE NOTE: *Due to a print traffic issue, we've been forced to
reschedule the screening that was originally scheduled for Sat, Aug 12 at
5:30.  The new screening will take place on Tues, Aug 15 at 8:30.  We
apologize for any inconvenience!*]

*WEDNESDAY, AUGUST 16, 2023* Venue type: *Live, physical event*
Renegade Cinema (aka Films with Friends, Those Guys)
<https://list-manage.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4b83d0e66f4638a082b103d27&id=b51f89703c&e=857b71a9cb>
7:00PM PST,
Beat Museum, 540 Broadway, San Francisco, CA
*Harry Smith "American Magus"*
A rare showing of *American Magus, a Modern Alchemist* an interview and
documentary of Avant Garde Icon Harry Smith by Paola Igliori, plus *Early
Abstractions* by Harry Smith

*___________________________________________________________________*

Venue type: *Live, physical event*
Renegade Cinema (aka Films with Friends, Those Guys)
<https://list-manage.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4b83d0e66f4638a082b103d27&id=f3e1408a7c&e=857b71a9cb>
7:30 PST,
Savoy Tivoli 1434 Grant Ave, San Francisco, CA
*Five Films by Bruce Baillie*
Renegade Cinema presents Five Films By Bruce Baillie:
*Tung*
*Castro Street*
*Valentin Des Sierra*
*Mass for the Dakota Sioux*
*All My Life*

*___________________________________________________________________*

Venue type: *Live, physical event*
Renegade Cinema (aka Films with Friends, Those Guys)
<https://list-manage.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4b83d0e66f4638a082b103d27&id=12f328e12a&e=857b71a9cb>
8PM PST,
The Fall Out Gallery, 50-A Bannam Place, San Francisco, CA
*Cinema of William Burroughs*
Presenting the cinematic world of William Burroughs including *Towers Open
Fire*

*___________________________________________________________________*

Venue type: *Live, physical event*
Renegade Cinema (aka Films with Friends, Those Guys)
<https://list-manage.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4b83d0e66f4638a082b103d27&id=c726448505&e=857b71a9cb>
8pm PST,
The Petit Paris Cafe, 513 Broadway, San Francisco, CA
*The Early Films of Alice Guy Blanche and others*
Early Gaumont films of Alice Guy Blanche, first female motion picture
director and others from Gaumont 1897-1912

*FRIDAY, AUGUST 18, 2023* Venue type: *Live, physical event*
Off The Wall @ 725 Ponce
<https://list-manage.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4b83d0e66f4638a082b103d27&id=d3275f03d9&e=857b71a9cb>
9pm-10pm EST,
725 Ponce de Leon Ave NE, Atlanta, GA
*Off The Wall @ 725 Ponce—launch!*
Announcing the launch of Off The Wall @ 725 Ponce—the largest movie screen
in the Southeast, illuminating the Atlanta Beltline with film and video art
from around the world. FREE and open to the public. Curated by Gregory
Zinman, in partnership with Cousins Properties.

Programming kicks off Friday, 8/18 at 9pm, with gorgeous digital loops by
Alyson Denny and the premiere of *LET LIGHT PERPETUAL* (2023) by Micah and
Whitney Stansell.

Initial programming for Off The Wall will run Fridays and Saturdays, 9-10pm
on August 18+19, August 25+26, and September 1+2. Every evening will
feature a different digital loop by Alyson Denny and a screening of Micah
and Whitney Stansell's *LET LIGHT PERPETUAL*. Bring a camping chair or a
blanket, or just sit on the grass, and we'll see you on the Beltline!

*___________________________________________________________________*

*August 18 - 26*
Venue type: *Live, physical event*
Gallery 263
<https://list-manage.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4b83d0e66f4638a082b103d27&id=a81d1a4eb7&e=857b71a9cb>
Opens on Aug 18, 6-8pm EST, screening on Aug 26, doors at 7:30pm EST,
263 Pearl St, Cambridge, MA 02139
*Lilan Yang: Nowhere Near*
>From Aug 20-26, Lilan Yang's debut solo exhibition, *Nowhere Near*, takes
center stage, presenting a curated selection of photographs and
experimental film installations that delve into the essence of memory and
its dissolution. Yang's pseudo-films defy traditional filmmaking norms by
employing a unique non-chemical method to create 16mm and 35mm films. This
pioneering approach melds analog and digital realms, utilizing inkjet/laser
printing and laser cutting techniques. The exhibition chronicles Yang's
introspective solo journeys through the Pacific Northwest, the Atlantic
Coastline, and a poignant voyage to the American West. It stands as both a
visual narrative and a meditation on perception — contemplates on ways of
seeing and not seeing. Moreover, it delves into an experimental
juxtaposition between film and memory, exploring how film's natural and
mechanical degradations as an archival medium mirrors the gradual erosion
of memories over time.

To mark the exhibition’s closing on Aug 26, an exclusive film screening in
the original 16mm format is also slated. A rare opportunity to view many of
Yang’s unedited, shot-on-camera short films in the evocative Kodak Black &
White Reversal. Additionally, Yang's MFA thesis film, *Everything Comes
Full Circle*, crafted during her introspective hiatus, will also be
featured with a new score by London-based composer Julian Tran. After a
two-year sojourn, this exhibition heralds Yang's much-anticipated return to
Boston, unveiling her new works to the public for the very first time.

*SATURDAY, AUGUST 19, 2023* Venue type: *Live, physical event*
Chicago Filmmakers
<https://list-manage.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4b83d0e66f4638a082b103d27&id=82eee3b014&e=857b71a9cb>
7PM Central,
1326 W Hollywood Ave, Chicago, IL 60660
*...LIKE CLOCKWORK (Time Ba$ed) | IN-PERSON (8/19)*
Our podcast, …Like Clockwork, curates conversations between Chicago
filmmakers, programmers, curators, and multi-disciplinary artists and
colleagues from around the world. This is a chance to see some of the
incredible work made by our guests, followed by a unique live conversation
featuring all of our local filmmakers. Programmed by M. Woods (host of
…Like Clockwork) and the Chicago Filmmakers programming intern team!

With a live post-screening discussion moderated by …Like Clockwork guest
and former Chicago Filmmakers programming intern, Grace K. Schuler.

Featuring the work of previous …Like Clockwork guests Paige Taul, Fernando
Saldivia Yañez, Lynne Sachs, Sonnie Wooden, Jason Halprin, Edgar
Jorge-Baralt, Ji Stribling, Daniel Watkins & Christina Santa Cruz
(CHESTNUT), Michael Mersereau, and M. Woods.

*GOAT* (Dir. Paige Taul) 2021
About a girl and her j’s. A meditation on the politics of style,
collectivity, and personal taste. 2’

*THE ROOTS WEAVER* (Dir. Fernando Saldivia Yañez) 2021
A poetic observation of the indigenous Yaghan art of grass-weaving. 10’

*OPACITY* (Dir. Michael Mersereau) 2022
An invitation from one stranger to another to open up about their very
first car. A sighting of a witch and a chair to sit in. Opacity is a short
video honoring the cryptic and restrained, using obscure symbolism,
narrative distance, and an unresolved journey into a hallucinogenic
netherworld. Explores semi-biographical events blended with an atmospheric
narrative in otherworldly landscapes. 5’

*VENTANA* (Dir. Edgar Jorge-Baralt) 2021
A retrieved picture of a window elicits memories and the impulse to
recreate a lost site. By this same window, an eight year old child feels
the cold air on his face and imagines the future. Filmed in Los Angeles
during the late summer of 2020 as COVID-19 cases were surging and residents
were advised to stay home. The act of shooting became a way to travel back
and forth, if not in space, then time. 10’

*COVID DIARIES - An Excerpt* (Dir. Jason Halprin) 2020 - ongoing
A collection of instagram shards, contemporaneous archives of media and
waste. From the filmmaker: “Starting in March 2020, I began a social media
project in response to the CoVid-19 pandemic. Observations and reflection,
but also a sleeping City Symphony for the Montréal neighborhood where I
spent lockdown. Meant to be an intervention into the scroll, these diary
entries have now been edited into a second draft of personal history.” 6’

*GODSPEED* (Dir. Sonnie Wooden) 2021
A poetic video-jazz diary of nostalgia for home, the resonance of artistic
practice. Documenting the shared and specifically Chicago experience of
interactions with family and friends from the perspective of coming home
and reacquainting with routes of travel. 14’

*CONFESSIONAL* (Dir. Michael Mersereau) 2022
A short video about a child's first seizure and descent into a technicolor
hell scape of prophetic visions and faceless creatures. An absurdist
experimental horror piece, its atmospheric storytelling insinuates a post
coup suburban paradise and a journey into the underworld. 5’

*MOCKINGBIRD [A MUSIC VIDEO FOR CHESTNUT]* (Dir. M. Woods | Music by
Chestnut - Christina Santa Cruz & Daniel Watkins) 2021
Chestnut (also known as the multidisciplinary artistic duo Christina Santa
Cruz & Daniel Watkins), revels in waves of harmonic noise and nostalgia for
an empty place that feels familiar. The titular song from the album
Mockingbird, the music video is a trip through “The Numb Spiral”, from the
archives of M. Woods’ Disassociative Productions, documenting a
Southwestern Hellscape gospel revival. 6’

*A MONTH OF SINGLE FRAMES* (Dir. Lynne Sachs | Made with & for Barbara
Hammer) 2020
In 1998 lesbian experimental filmmaker Barbara Hammer took part in a
one-month residency at a Cape Cod dune shack without running water or
electricity, where she shot film, recorded sound and kept a journal. In
2018 she gave all of this material to Lynne Sachs and invited her to make a
film with it. 14’

TOTAL RUNNING TIME: Approximately 75’ w/ an additional post-screening event

*___________________________________________________________________*

Venue type:
Los Angeles Filmforum
<https://list-manage.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4b83d0e66f4638a082b103d27&id=b0903c46c7&e=857b71a9cb>
2pm PST,
2220 Arts & Archives - 2220 Beverly Blvd, Los Angeles, CA 90057
*The Wyvernwood Chronicles: Part 2*
In person: filmmakers Diego Robles & Bertha Aguilar, Wyvernwood resident
Gumaro Oviedo Flores, and programmer Jorge Ravelo

Filmforum continues local filmmaker Diego Robles' series The Wyvernwood
Chronicles:

Part 2, an eclectic collection of short films ranging from resident-made
PSA’s (Public Service Announcements), to meditative experimental
documentary pieces, to youth workshop animations. The films center around a
group of residents and community homes located just east of the Los Angeles
River, in Boyle Heights between the years 2007-2015, where many attempts by
the city to displace the residents were challenged by its residents.

The films begin to be made around the beginning of the Great Recession, as
LA Co-Media (Los Angeles Collective Media) collaborated with Comite de la
Esperanza & neighborhood residents from Wyvernwood to make documentary
videos, spread awareness, lead youth workshops and aid in the preservation
of their housing and the archiving of their histories. The films made from
LA Co-Media range from being didactic, to being calls-to-action, to also
being playful and meditative cinematic forms. To complement these films,
the documentary short *GUMARO*, made from cut material of Robles’ feature
film *Wyvernwood: The Garden City*, follows resident Gumaro Oviedo Flores
in one of his Los Angeles Quinceñera videography jobs, showing the
relationship between representation and a coming-of-age ritual.

Part 2 focuses on an even broader and more horizontal approach to
representation, where the films aren’t simply made about community but are
birthed from within community building efforts. The screening will be
followed by a Q&A panel with a number of the filmmakers and residents of
Wyvernwood.

Program (~70 minutes)
*Que Hermoso es Wyvernwood *(2010) by Gumaro Oviedo Flores - 1 min
*Doña Carmen* (working title) (2015) by Manuel Huerta - 5 min
*Cut-Out Animation made by Wyvernwood Children* (working title) (2013) by
Bertha Alicia Aguilar Garcia - 4 min
*Nosotros Somos Wyvernwood* (2009/2010) by El Comité de la Esperanza, LA
Co-Media, Gumaro Oviedo Flores - 10 min
*Wyvernwood* (made around 2009/2010) by El Comité de la Esperanza, LA
Co-Media, Gumaro Oviedo Flores - 3 min
*Yo Soy Wyvernwood/Yo Soy Comité de la Esperanza* (made around 2009/2010)
by Gumaro Oviedo Flores - 30 sec
*Short video made of still photographs and napkins from Comité member Doña
Avangelina*, (2013) by Diego Robles - 4 min
*Nuestros Videos Culturales para la Preservación de Wyvernwood *(
2009/2010) by Erasto Arena, El Comité de la Esperanza, LA Co-Media & Diego
Robles - 4 min
*El Futuro Wyvernwood* (2009/2010) by Abraham Osuna, LA Co-Media, Comité de
la Esperanza/Wyvernwood Resident’s Ricardo Mojica & Salvador Vergara - 3 min
*GUMARO* (2021) by Diego Robles - 36 min

And other films to be announced

*ONGOING*

Venue type: *Virtual, online event*
Riverwest Radio
<https://list-manage.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4b83d0e66f4638a082b103d27&id=bf1de496ea&e=857b71a9cb>
streaming 24/7
*THE LONG CONVERSATION*
THE LONG CONVERSATION with Xav Leplae and Stephanie Barber is on indefinite
hold. But... all episodes from the last year and a half are streaming!!!

*___________________________________________________________________*

Venue type: *Virtual, online event*
6x6 Project
<https://list-manage.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4b83d0e66f4638a082b103d27&id=1f8d299a0f&e=857b71a9cb>
streaming 24/7
*Artists' Moving Image Works*
6x6 project is an online artists' community that serves as a platform for
disseminating artists' moving image works, and to create
an ever-growing network among peers.

There are now more than four hundred artists’ film and moving image works
available to view on the website.

------------------------------

*Let us know about your alternative film/video event!*

Enter your event announcements by going to the Flicker Weekly Listing Form
<https://list-manage.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4b83d0e66f4638a082b103d27&id=2ba5ae5d0f&e=857b71a9cb>
.

To receive the weekly listing directly via email rather than through
Frameworks, just hit Subscribe
<https://list-manage.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4b83d0e66f4638a082b103d27&id=091193278b&e=857b71a9cb>
.

*Copyright © 2020 Flicker, All rights reserved.*
Longtime recipient of This Week in Avant Garde Cinema