[Frameworks] kodaliths and other title tools

Eric Theise erictheise at gmail.com
Tue Dec 5 21:21:14 UTC 2023

Hi Lark Lyra,

If you're in a place with an active letterpress community you might ask
where printers get their polymer plates made, then ask the platemaker if
they have technology that can create film positives of the size you need. I
went this route for titles some ten years ago; I don't know that I would do
it again or if the technology's changed.

The tolerances for platemaking seem looser than ours and you'll need to
patiently explain what you're going to do. My first batch came back with
pinholes and other artifacts and we had to do a second, maybe third run
with fresher chemistry and higher dmax targets, and they still weren't
perfect. I was working with a local graphic arts guru/mensch and he almost
certainly lost money on that job.

Eric