[Frameworks] Eiki SL-0 repair?

ev petrol epetrol2 at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 18 03:19:42 UTC 2023

Thanks a million Zach and Pip, that's really helpful, I'll give it a go!cheers Moira

moiratierney.net vimeo.com/moiratierney

    On Saturday, December 16, 2023 at 03:05:27 PM EST, Zach Poff <z at zachpoff.com> wrote:

I'm not a veteran projector tech, but I have found that my SL-0 often needs lubrication inside the telescoping tube under the lens mount that slides forward/back when the film path engages. Old lubricant gets "chalky" and the resistance is enough to make the main knob stiff or impossible to turn.

In page 53 of the Eiki service manual ( http://www.film-tech.com/warehouse/wareview.php?id=1480&category=2 ) you'll see the pin that slides inside a tube called the "reception bracket guide bar". Take it apart, clean it out with alcohol on cotton swabs. I lube it with silicone oil (although I don't think the service manual mentions any lubrication in that spot). If you use common petroleum-based oil or grease, it will dry out again in a few years. Synthetics like silicone oil or PTFE grease (Superlube in the US) will last much longer.

I should note that it's probably the tip of the iceberg. There are many points that need lubrication, so other problems might be on their way (especially if previous service was done with whatever lubricants were at hand).

Hope it helps!

Zach Poff

https://www.zachpoff.com