[Frameworks] This Week in Avant Garde Cinema: March 4 - 12, 2023 + Thank You

This Week thisweek.in.avantgardecinema at gmail.com
Sat Mar 4 18:32:03 UTC 2023

View this email in your browser
<https://mailchi.mp/ef6177983ff1/this-week-in-avant-garde-cinema-10280377?e=857b71a9cb>
~*!!!! THANK YOU !!!!*

We've reached our goal for the next year. The fundraiser will remain open
until March 10, in case folks still want to donate. Any amount raised
beyond the initial $375 goal will go towards Mailchimp fees & taxes in
future months and years. THANK YOU!!!

Mailchimp is changing. Starting on March 10th, Mailchimp's free account
will have new limitations and will thus no longer meet our needs. To
continue sending these beauties each week we need to upgrade and pay
$26.50/month + tax. To make that possible for the next year, we need to
raise $375 to cover Mailchimp monthly fees and taxes, as well as GoFundMe
fees.

Please donate at https://gofund.me/c92c5451
<https://list-manage.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4b83d0e66f4638a082b103d27&id=138ac932b9&e=857b71a9cb>
 and help spread the word.

At the time of sending this email, we have raised $406, WOOHOO!!! We've
reached our goal for the next year. The fundraiser will remain open until
March 10, in case folks still want to donate. Any amount raised beyond the
initial $375 goal will go towards Mailchimp fees & taxes in future months
and years.
<> <> <> <> <>

*This Week [March 4 - 12, 2023] in Avant Garde Cinema*

To receive the weekly listing via email: Subscribe
<https://list-manage.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4b83d0e66f4638a082b103d27&id=86b9fa5690&e=857b71a9cb>.
To unsubscribe see the link at the bottom of this email.

*DEADLINES APPROACHING*
**** Enter upcoming calls for entry here
<https://list-manage.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4b83d0e66f4638a082b103d27&id=e3a17c277f&e=857b71a9cb>
****
*sorted by submission deadline*
Ongoing Films for Ukrainian Border Crossings
<bccffpoland at gmail.com?subdir=calls&filename=2.ann&accepts=yes%0a?subdir=calls&filename=2.ann&accepts=yes%20?subdir=calls&filename=2.ann&accepts=yes>
(No Dialogue + PG)
03.10.2023 West Virginia Mountaineer Short Film Festival
<https://list-manage.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4b83d0e66f4638a082b103d27&id=a9fb225fd0&e=857b71a9cb>
03.10.2023 Coney Island Film Festival
<https://list-manage.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4b83d0e66f4638a082b103d27&id=127270e1bb&e=857b71a9cb>
(Extended Deadline)
03.11.2023 Chicago Underground Film Festival
<https://list-manage.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4b83d0e66f4638a082b103d27&id=5a09916819&e=857b71a9cb>
(Late Deadline)
03.12.2023 EXIS
<https://list-manage.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4b83d0e66f4638a082b103d27&id=fb4ff73d12&e=857b71a9cb>
(Extended Deadline)
03.17.2023 New Orleans Film Festival
<https://list-manage.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4b83d0e66f4638a082b103d27&id=165f63a2a3&e=857b71a9cb>
(Regular Deadline)
03.17.2023 Festival de Cannes
<https://list-manage.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4b83d0e66f4638a082b103d27&id=883329e428&e=857b71a9cb>
03.20.2023 FILMADRID
<https://list-manage.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4b83d0e66f4638a082b103d27&id=e97e4dca87&e=857b71a9cb>
03.21.2023 Istanbul International Experimental Film Festival
<https://list-manage.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4b83d0e66f4638a082b103d27&id=943c23bb4f&e=857b71a9cb>
(4th Deadline)
03.23.2023 Reeling The Chicago LGBTQ+ International Film Festival
<https://list-manage.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4b83d0e66f4638a082b103d27&id=2186c02b15&e=857b71a9cb>
(Early Deadline)
03.26.2023 Magmart international videoart festival
<https://list-manage.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4b83d0e66f4638a082b103d27&id=eff4b549fd&e=857b71a9cb>
03.28.2023 Live Soundtrack
<https://list-manage.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4b83d0e66f4638a082b103d27&id=16340e5db0&e=857b71a9cb>
(Late Birds)
03.31.2023 Experimental Film Festival Process
<https://list-manage.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4b83d0e66f4638a082b103d27&id=d665bcdced&e=857b71a9cb>
04.01.2023 Fracto Experimental Film Encounter
<https://list-manage.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4b83d0e66f4638a082b103d27&id=11f9b63395&e=857b71a9cb>
04.01.2023 Crescent City Film Festival
<https://list-manage.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4b83d0e66f4638a082b103d27&id=5c9630c9e0&e=857b71a9cb>
(Extended Deadline)
04.01.2023 Winnipeg Underground Film Festival
<https://list-manage.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4b83d0e66f4638a082b103d27&id=17ce42b3a9&e=857b71a9cb>
(90 second ultra shorts)
04.02.2023 VSW Project Space Residency
<https://list-manage.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4b83d0e66f4638a082b103d27&id=bb82f18bb2&e=857b71a9cb>
04.07.2023 Buffalo Int’l Film Festival
<https://list-manage.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4b83d0e66f4638a082b103d27&id=e81a03545c&e=857b71a9cb>
04.09.2023 Mimesis Documentary Festival
<https://list-manage.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4b83d0e66f4638a082b103d27&id=85b0dfb591&e=857b71a9cb>
(Regular Deadline)
04.30.2023 Laterale Film Festival
<https://list-manage.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4b83d0e66f4638a082b103d27&id=6eaf0f2741&e=857b71a9cb>
(Regular Deadline)
04.30.2023 Braziers International Film Festival
<https://list-manage.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4b83d0e66f4638a082b103d27&id=ffb774e353&e=857b71a9cb>
(Late Deadline)
05.19.2023 Edinburgh Short Film Festival
<https://list-manage.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4b83d0e66f4638a082b103d27&id=a073fe871d&e=857b71a9cb>
(Regular Deadline)
06.01.2023 Engauge Experimental Film Festival
<https://list-manage.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4b83d0e66f4638a082b103d27&id=6f0a1965e7&e=857b71a9cb>
06.15.2023 Revolutions Per Minute Festival
<https://list-manage.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4b83d0e66f4638a082b103d27&id=47c67228b3&e=857b71a9cb>
(Extended Deadline)
07.10.2023 Affective Intermediality International Conference
<https://list-manage.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4b83d0e66f4638a082b103d27&id=b8db6b08f0&e=857b71a9cb>

*EVENTS*
**** Enter your event announcements here
<https://list-manage.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4b83d0e66f4638a082b103d27&id=5b401714a1&e=857b71a9cb>
****
*complicated sorting but a true attempt, enjoy!*

This week's programs (summary):

   - Refresh
   <https://list-manage.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4b83d0e66f4638a082b103d27&id=4692ce95e9&e=857b71a9cb>
[March
   2022 - Spring 2023, Denver, CO]
   - EC: Stan Brakhage (Multiple Programs)
   <https://list-manage.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4b83d0e66f4638a082b103d27&id=1e08b8c906&e=857b71a9cb>
[March
   3-5, New York, NY]
   - OR119
   <https://list-manage.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4b83d0e66f4638a082b103d27&id=f0efdc7927&e=857b71a9cb>
[March
   3-7, New York, NY]
   - Media Archeology1:16mm
   <https://list-manage.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4b83d0e66f4638a082b103d27&id=13001c7c17&e=857b71a9cb>
[March
   4, San Francisco, CA]
   - The Films of Bretta C. Walker & Jean-Jacques Martinod
   <https://list-manage.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4b83d0e66f4638a082b103d27&id=8c294e60fa&e=857b71a9cb>
[March
   4, Santa Fe, NM]
   - Wasteland Utopias
   <https://list-manage.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4b83d0e66f4638a082b103d27&id=25b25ec7ed&e=857b71a9cb>
[March
   5 & 8, New York, NY]
   - George Kuchar's Video Diaries [March 6, Durham, NC]
   - Expedition Content
   <https://list-manage.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4b83d0e66f4638a082b103d27&id=2407fa3deb&e=857b71a9cb>
[March
   8, Berkeley, CA]
   - Microcinema: Cathy Cook - Beyond Voluntary Control & Other Short Films
   <https://list-manage.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4b83d0e66f4638a082b103d27&id=6b1415dfb4&e=857b71a9cb>
[March
   8, Washington, DC]
   - EC: Stan Brakhage (Two More Programs)
   <https://list-manage.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4b83d0e66f4638a082b103d27&id=2a9a8336ad&e=857b71a9cb>
[March
   8-9, New York, NY]
   - Special Presentation: Eric Theise, Carto-Osc
   <https://list-manage.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4b83d0e66f4638a082b103d27&id=5439eac719&e=857b71a9cb>
[March
   9, Fort Collins, CO]
   - Perceptual Exploration: In Dialogue with Anna Kipervaser
   <https://list-manage.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4b83d0e66f4638a082b103d27&id=11d7f5f2a3&e=857b71a9cb>
[March
   9, Rochester, NY]
   - Cauleen Smith - In Space, In Time
   <https://list-manage.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4b83d0e66f4638a082b103d27&id=971fdde47f&e=857b71a9cb>
[March
   9-11, Los Angeles, CA]
   - A Synesthete's Atlas - Eric Theise & Daniel Zamzow
   <https://list-manage.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4b83d0e66f4638a082b103d27&id=f5731bab17&e=857b71a9cb>
[March
   10, Fort Collins, CO]
   - Friederike Pezold (Pezoldo)
   <https://list-manage.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4b83d0e66f4638a082b103d27&id=11786ebf79&e=857b71a9cb>
[March
   10-16, New York, NY]
   - Optronica1: 16mmpolyvision
   <https://list-manage.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4b83d0e66f4638a082b103d27&id=4a11c7d2d9&e=857b71a9cb>
[March
   11, San Francisco, CA]
   - Bodies For Strength And Power: Films And Performances By Kristin Reeves
   <https://list-manage.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4b83d0e66f4638a082b103d27&id=73c912ebc3&e=857b71a9cb>
[March
   12, Oakland, CA]
   - A Synesthete's Atlas - Eric Theise & Bob Marsh's SCAPE
   <https://list-manage.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4b83d0e66f4638a082b103d27&id=3e970161c5&e=857b71a9cb>
[March
   12, Pueblo, CO]
   - The Long Conversation
   <https://list-manage.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4b83d0e66f4638a082b103d27&id=caa0e0775e&e=857b71a9cb>
   [ongoing, online]
   - 6x6 Project: Artists' Moving Image Works
   <https://list-manage.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4b83d0e66f4638a082b103d27&id=ad7da3b855&e=857b71a9cb>
[ongoing,
   online]

*STARTING BEFORE MARCH 4, 2023*

*March 2022 - Spring 2023*
Venue type: *Live, physical event*
Denver Museum of Nature & Science
<https://list-manage.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4b83d0e66f4638a082b103d27&id=20c2275b3c&e=857b71a9cb>
open during Museum hours,
The Summit Stage and Expedition Health, Denver Museum of Nature & Science,
2001 Colorado Blvd, Denver, CO
*REFRESH: *CYANOBACTERIA OFFER PERSPECTIVE ON OURSELVES
This art-science collaboration looks at the microscopic ways cyanobacteria
move, on an individual level and in colonies. If we study these organisms
and their varied forms, we might discover ways to improve our future.

On display at the Denver Museum of Nature & Science in the Summit Stage and
Expedition Health, March 2022 - Fall 2022

The cells in your body take in oxygen and sweep out waste products like
carbon dioxide (CO2). Microscopic cyanobacteria use photosynthesis to work
in reverse, breathing in CO2 and pumping out oxygen.

Three billion years ago, cyanobacteria created Earth’s oxygenfilled
atmosphere, supporting the evolution of creatures like us. Today, they
provide one-quarter of the planet’s oxygen, and cyanobacteria like
spirulina provide us with food.

Researchers believe that cyanobacteria —which need only sunlight, CO2, and
water to thrive— could offer solutions to our changing climate. They might
help reduce CO2 on a grand scale, contribute to biofuel production, and
support long-term space travel. This diverse group of organisms offers a
symbolic warning as well: when colonies of cyanobacteria become too dense
or stressed, they can run out of nutrients or be destroyed by their own air
pollution.

Made with the collaborative efforts of filmmaker Erin Espelie and the
Jeffrey Cameron Laboratory at the University of Colorado Boulder, which
created a customized microscope system specifically tailored for long-term
growth and quantitative imaging of cyanobacterial cells; with special
thanks to microbiologist and cinematographer Evan Johnson and artists Nima
Bahrehmand, Travis Austin, Will Alstetter, as well as NEST Studio for the
Arts.

*___________________________________________________________________*

*March 3 - 5*
Venue type:  *Live, physical event*
Anthology Film Archives
<https://list-manage.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4b83d0e66f4638a082b103d27&id=1c209b190f&e=857b71a9cb>
times vary, see below,
32 Second Avenue, New York, NY
*EC: STAN BRAKHAGE (multiple programs)*

--- March 3 @ 6:30pm ET - EC: STAN BRAKHAGE PGM 1 ---

Unless otherwise noted, all films are silent.
*DESISTFILM* (1954, 7 min, 16mm, b&w, sound)
*REFLECTIONS ON BLACK* (1955, 12 min, 16mm, b&w, sound. Preserved by
Anthology Film Archives.)
*THE WONDER RING* (1955, 4 min, 16mm)
*FLESH OF MORNING* (1956, 25 min, 16mm, b&w)
*LOVING* (1956, 4 min, 16mm)
*DAYBREAK AND WHITEYE* (1957, 8 min, 16mm)
*WINDOW WATER BABY MOVING* (1959, 12 min, 16mm. Preserved by Anthology Film
Archives.)
Films made during the early, “psychodramatic” period of one of modern
cinema’s greatest innovators, including two of his early experiments with
sound.

Total running time: ca. 75 min.

--- March 3 @ 8:30pm ET - EC: *DOG STAR MAN* ---
by Stan Brakhage, 1961-64, 74 min, 16mm, silent

“*DOG STAR MAN* elaborates in mythic, almost systematic terms, the
worldview of [Brakhage’s] lyrical films. More than any other work of the
American avant-garde film, it stations itself within the rhetoric of
Romanticism, describing the birth of consciousness, the cycle of the
seasons, man’s struggle with nature, and sexual balance in the visual
evocation of a fallen titan bearing the cosmic name of the Dog Star Man.”
–P. Adams Sitney, VISIONARY FILM

“The film breathes and is an organic and surging thing…it is a colossal
lyrical adventure-dance of image in every variation of color.” –Michael
McClure

--- March 4 @ 6:30pm ET - EC: STAN BRAKHAGE PGM 3 ---

Unless otherwise noted, all films are silent.
*THE DEAD* (1960, 11 min, 16mm)
*PASHT* (1965, 5 min, 16mm)
*THREE FILMS: BLUEWHITE, BLOOD’S TONE, VEIN* (1965, 10 min, 16mm)
*FIRE OF WATERS* (1965, 10 min, 16mm, b&w, sound)
*THE HORSEMAN, THE WOMAN AND THE MOTH* (1968, 19 min, 16mm)

Total running time: ca. 60 min.

--- March 4 @ 8:30pm ET - EC: STAN BRAKHAGE PGM 4 ---

Unless otherwise noted, all films are silent.
*ANTICIPATION OF THE NIGHT* (1958, 40 min, 16mm)
*CAT’S CRADLE* (1959, 6 min, 16mm)
*SIRIUS REMEMBERED* (1959, 12 min, 16mm)
*THIGH LINE LYRE TRIANGULAR* (1961, 9 min, 16mm)
*MOTHLIGHT* (1963, 4 min, 16mm. Preserved by Anthology Film Archives.)
*BLUE MOSES* (1963, 11 min, 16mm, b&w, sound)
With *ANTICIPATION OF THE NIGHT*, Brakhage leaves psychodrama and enters
the “closed-eye vision” period. This program also contains a unique example
of a film made without a camera, *MOTHLIGHT*, and one of Brakhage’s few
sound (and ‘acted’) films, *BLUE MOSES*.

Total running time: ca. 85 min.

--- March 5 @ 5:30pm ET - EC: Stan Brakhage *SONGS 1-14* ---
1964-65, ca. 53 min, 8mm-to-16mm, silent

“*SONG 1*: Portrait of a lady. *SONGS 2 & 3*: Fire and a mind’s movement in
remembering. *SONG 4*: Three girls playing with a ball. Hand painted. *SONG
5*: A childbirth song. *SONG 6*: The painted veil via moth-death. *SONG 7*:
San Francisco. *SONG 8*: Sea creatures. *SONG 9*: Wedding source and
substance. *SONG 10*: Sitting around. *SONG 11*: Fires, windows, an insect,
a lyre of rain scratches. *SONG 12*: Verticals and shadows caught in glass
traps. *SONG 13*: A travel song of scenes and horizontals. *SONG 14*:
Molds, paints and crystals.” –Stan Brakhage

--- March 5 @ 7:15pm ET - EC: Stan Brakhage *SONGS 15-22* ---
1965-66, ca. 75 min, 8mm-to-16mm, silent

“*SONG 15: FIFTEEN SONG TRAITS*: A series of individual portraits of
friends and family – Robert Creeley, Michael McClure, Ed Dorn, Jonas Mekas,
others. *SONG 16*: A flowering of sex as in the mind’s eye, a joy. *SONGS
17 & 18*: The movie house cathedral and a singular room. *SONGS 19 & 20*:
Women dancing and a light. *SONGS 21 & 22*: Two views of closed-eye
vision.” –Stan Brakhage

*___________________________________________________________________*

*March 3 - 7*
Venue type: *Live, physical event*
Anthology Film Archives
<https://list-manage.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4b83d0e66f4638a082b103d27&id=a8c3dc3397&e=857b71a9cb>
March 3-5 @ 7pm ET; March 6-7 @ 9pm ET,
32 Second Avenue, New York, NY
*OR119*
NEW YORK PREMIERE ENGAGEMENT! FILMMAKERS IN PERSON!

*OR119* by Peggy Ahwesh & Jacqueline Goss, 2022, 60 min, digital

In this new collaborative work, the legacy of renegade scientist and social
thinker Wilhelm Reich gets the musical treatment it has long deserved,
thanks to filmmakers Peggy Ahwesh and Jacqueline Goss, and an ensemble of
co-conspirators including composer Zach Layton and performers Cecilia
Aldarondo, Laith Ayogu, Lana Lin, Jennifer Montgomery, and Marianne
Shaneen, among many others. A student and protégé of Freud’s, and one of
the most radical figures in the history of psychotherapy, Reich famously
claimed to have discovered orgone, a form of life energy pervading the
universe. Shot in his home and laboratory in Rangeley, Maine, *OR119*
transmutes Reich’s writings into song, while also conjuring into existence
a series of impossible encounters between Reich and a selection of
contemporary feminist writers. A theoretical musical that’s as playful and
liberating as it is formally challenging and intellectually provocative,
*OR119* is suffused with its own unique artistic life force.

“The work is based in ‘quotation’ – both quotations by Reich set to song
(by composer Zach Layton) and in conversation between Reich and a number of
contemporary feminist thinkers including Butler, Barad, Cixous, and others.
We playfully examine the unsettled legacy of Reich and his surprisingly
relevant dynamic with feminist thought. Orgone was the life energy based on
sex and positive expression that Reich claims to have discovered, and here
we grant him the honor of the next number on the periodic chart (*OR119*)
for his discovery.” –Peggy Ahwesh & Jacqueline Goss

With:
Erotic Psyche [Bradley Eros & Aline Mare] *ELECTRAMORPHIC* 1987, 14 min,
Super-8mm-to-16mm
Visions of creation & destruction: the birth of pyromania and explosive
technology. Promethea’s homage to Reich & Tesla and the Orgone of
Alternating Current. ‘Very Kali-graphic.’

*Plus: each night will feature additional surprise short films!*

Also, don't miss WILHELM REICH AND THE CINEMA
<https://list-manage.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4b83d0e66f4638a082b103d27&id=e157d03ab7&e=857b71a9cb>
- As a special supplement to our screenings of OR119, we offer screenings
of a variety of films that intersect, in one way or another, with the life,
thought, ideas, and legacy of Wilhelm Reich.

*SATURDAY, MARCH 4, 2023*

Venue type: *Live, physical event*
Other Cinema
<https://list-manage.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4b83d0e66f4638a082b103d27&id=260c4c824f&e=857b71a9cb>
8pm PT,
ATA Gallery, 992 Valencia (@ 21st), San Francisco, CA
*MEDIA ARCHEOLOGY1:16MM*

*CENTURY OF 16 *: *BEYOND THE BOLEX* +

CALLING ALL FILMmakers, for the 100th birthday of 16mm! Here's REQUIRED
viewing on the history of thee most crucial camera model in our collective
practice, the Bolex! Alyssa Bolsey returned to Switzerland and her family's
collection to uncover precious stills, archival footage, and her
Grandfather's own 100-foot spools, to piece together the fascinating
mystery of this immigrant inventor who designed the “greatest amateur
camera ever”. *Beyond the Bolex* is interspersed are interviews with
renowned shooters who swear by the analog magick of this iconic hand-held
beauty--Jonas Mekas, Wim Wenders, Barbara Hammer, et al. In fact we'll
live-demo 3 Bolexes to open the program, including an insanely rare
Standard 8 Bolsey! Underlying our centennial theme, all the way from LA
comes Cr1tter of SoCal's 3Ton Archive to share his *Century of 16*, an
uncanny compilation reel with exemplary clips from each of the format's
first five decades! AND amidst an array of vintage projectors, FREE (cored)
educationals for first-comers.

*___________________________________________________________________*

Venue type: *Live, physical event*
No Name Cinema
<https://list-manage.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4b83d0e66f4638a082b103d27&id=92ac0ac2be&e=857b71a9cb>
7pm MST,
No Name Cinema, 2013 Pinon Street, Santa Fe, NM
*the films of Bretta C. Walker & Jean-Jacques Martinod*
Martinod is an Ecuadorian filmmaker, radio DJ & media artist. His works
endeavor to interrogate sensory cognition in relation to the natural world,
potential planes and parapoetic territories, by interlacing abyssology and
ethnofiction with artisanal experimental film techniques.

Walker’s work is that of a deeply personal practice grounded in healing,
drawing cues from the resilience and sublimity of Nature and its intrinsic
relation to the female condition and form. In her dedication to analog
technologies and celluloid, alongside her personal research in
eco-processing - alchemy, the hand, and a sense of locality are ever
present forces and co-authors in her work.

filmmakers in attendance! post-screening Q&A!

*SUNDAY, MARCH 5, 2023*

March 5 & 8
Venue type: *Live, physical event*
Anthology Film Archives
<https://list-manage.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4b83d0e66f4638a082b103d27&id=e765070080&e=857b71a9cb>
March 5 @ 4:30pm ET & March 8 @ 6:45pm ET,
32 Second Avenue, New York, NY
*WASTELAND UTOPIAS*
David Sherman 2010, 91 min, digital, Filmmaker in Person

Part of the Wilhelm Reich in the Cinema
<https://list-manage.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4b83d0e66f4638a082b103d27&id=b69ebfca25&e=857b71a9cb>
series, *WASTELAND UTOPIAS* explores the intersection of two radically
different utopian thinkers: mega-developer Del Webb and outsider
psychiatrist/naturalist Wilhelm Reich. Each found his way into southern
Arizona’s Sonoran Desert in the late 1950s – Webb building his colossal,
panoptically-planned retirement community Sun City and Reich conducting his
weather manipulation experiments using Orgone Energy. This unlikely pairing
provokes a hallucinatory, magic-conceptualist examination of the
disintegrating fabric that connects man with nature, evoking questions
about both ecological and social sustainability. Using found footage,
documentary interviews, and narrative tableaux, the film interweaves
contradictory narratives and critically poetic observations. By juxtaposing
these two thinkers – who represent ostensibly opposing visions of a
still-undefined future – Sherman asks viewers to consider a multiplicity of
perspectives on our endangered natural and social environments.

*MONDAY, MARCH 6, 2023*

Venue type: *Live, physical event*
*Experimental Film Society*
7pm ET,
Duke University, Classroom Building, Screening Room 103, Durham, NC
*George Kuchar's Video Diaries*
“While Kuchar brings a thorough awareness of the gestures and means of
conventional commercial fiction film to his productions, the results are as
diaristic as they are fictional. The faces, bodies, and gestures of
Kuchar's actors, and their environments, may seem bizarre, even outrageous
in their failure to live up to the standards implied by the filmic forms
Kuchar is using; but these are, in fact, the real people and places Kuchar
knows, and the stories they enact are based on Kuchar's experiences. For
years I was troubled by my general inability to remember which Kuchar
titles go with which Kuchar films, or even to remember one film as distinct
from another. I can see now that my difficulties have a good deal to do
with the fact that for Kuchar the films are periodic releases in a
continuous psychic flow, which use the conventions common to commercial
movies as a formal structure. One might ask, why bother with the ludicrous,
campy sets and costumes? If the films are episodes from a dramatized diary,
why not let everyone look themselves—why design costumes and sets at all?
Well, for one thing, as Kuchar seems fully aware, everyday life can no
longer be detached from the imagery that commercial film and television
provide in such abundance…the films' sketchy plots are pretexts which allow
us to watch the performers' and characters' funny/sad attempts to live up
to the standards of perfection the media Industry provides for their
worship, as they struggle with the complex, frustrating shocks and
mysteries of human experience.”
-- Scott MacDonald

*Wild Night in El Reno* (George Kuchar, 1977, 6 minutes)
*Weather Diary 3* (George Kuchar, 1988, 24 minutes)
*We, the Normal* (George Kuchar, 1988, 11 minutes)
*Weather Diary 5* (George Kuchar, 1989, 38 minutes)
*Season of Sorrow* (George Kuchar, 1996, 12 minutes)

*WEDNESDAY, MARCH 8, 2023*

Venue type: *Live, physical event*
Pacific Film Archive
<https://list-manage.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4b83d0e66f4638a082b103d27&id=067531ab6b&e=857b71a9cb>
7:00 pm PST,
BAMPFA, 2155 Center Street, Berkeley, CA
*EXPEDITION CONTENT*
Michael Rockefeller’s sound recordings made during Robert Gardner’s 1961
expedition to West Papua are the starting point for *Expedition Content*,
an experimental ethnographic film composed by Veronika Kusumaryati, a
political and media anthropologist working in West Papua, and sound artist
and sound designer Ernst Karel, both associated with Harvard's Sensory
Ethnography Lab. The resulting almost imageless film provides an immersive
listening experience while shedding new light on Hubula daily life, the
expedition, and anthropology. As Leo Goldsmith noted, the film "foregrounds
the (re)construction of sonic spaces as an inherently political act, both
as the acquisition and labeling of anthropological data and as the forensic
project of bringing buried, untranslated, and frequently silenced voices to
the fore."

"A mind-expanding inquiry on anthropology — how it speaks and for whom —
and on cinema itself." - Manohla Dargis, New York Times, Ten Best Films of
2022

Followed by one of the BALIEM VALLEY SHORTS, the 19-minute *SALT*, edited
from Robert Gardner's footage unused in *DEAD BIRDS*, and with sound edit
and mix by Ernst Karel.

*___________________________________________________________________*

Venue type: *Live, physical event*
Rhizome DC
<https://list-manage.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4b83d0e66f4638a082b103d27&id=6ba6771202&e=857b71a9cb>
7pm ET,
Rhizome DC, 6950 Maple St NW, Washington, DC
*MICROCINEMA: Cathy Cook - Beyond Voluntary Control & other short films*
Rhizome is pleased to present the films of Baltimore/Wisconsin-based
filmmaker Cathy Cook along with a post-screening discussion with the
filmmaker.

Cathy Cook is a moving image artist whose interdisciplinary works address
issues of human physical and psychological challenges, gender stereotypes
and the vulnerability of the natural world, using a non-narrative aesthetic.

As an artist, filmmaker, educator and eco-activist, Cathy Cook has been
creating films, animation, poetry films, collages, and installations since
the early 1980’s. She has exhibited her award-winning work internationally
in both solo and group shows including MOMA, The Whitney Museum, PBS, and
numerous other venues. In 2001, Cook was awarded a Guggenheim Memorial
Fellowship.

Nature, topical social issues, and poetry have been staples in her creative
work. Cook’s “Cranes in Motion” project took her to the largest migration
locations for Sandhill Cranes and Whooping Cranes. Currently, Cook is an
Associate Professor in Cinematic Arts at UMBC. Cook migrates between
Baltimore and Wisconsin, where she lives on a small swampy lake with her
dog Zippy and they share residence with cranes, loons, eagles, badgers,
deer, herons, and coyotes…..

*The Match That Started My Fire *(1992, 19 min, 16mm) | Live-action / found
footage
This unconventional comedy explores women’s sexuality through candid
stories of sexual discoveries, fantasies, and pleasures. Visually stunning,
yet unnerving, the film is a visual montage of found industrial films and
original footage of swirling skirts, monumental machinery, ocean life, and
befuddled reaction shots. The phone rings and the girl-talk begins: secrets
emerge and confessions build as the audience is taken on an adventure of
sensual humor.

*Beyond Voluntary Control *(2000, 30min, 16mm & DVD) | Live-action /
Animation, Color, Sound
Conveying the experience of psychological and physical confinement. Through
a surreal montage of haunting images from diverse sources, a sense of the
obsessions, phobias, and diseases that constrict personal freedom is
tellingly communicated. Dancer David Figueroa contributes his original and
evocative movements to the mix. A soundtrack with poems by Emily Dickinson
and Sharon Olds escorts the visual, and an interview with the filmmaker’s
mother poignantly underscores the latter’s struggle with Parkinson’s
disease.
– lock yourself in, let yourself go –

*Mother Nature *(1996, 5min, 16mm) | Live-action / found footage /
performance
A comical look on who truly makes the world go around.

*Summer Home *(2015, 1.50 min) 4k Digital Video, silent.
A meditative perspective of waterfowls’ summer home.

*___________________________________________________________________*

*March 8 - 9*
Venue type: *Live, physical event*
Anthology Film Archives
<https://list-manage.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4b83d0e66f4638a082b103d27&id=31df2af16f&e=857b71a9cb>
each show @ 7:30pm ET,
32 Second Avenue, New York, NY
*EC: STAN BRAKHAGE (TWO MORE PROGRAMS)*

--- March 8 @ 7:30pm - EC: *23RD PSALM BRANCH* ---
by Stan Brakhage, 1966, 95 min, 8mm-to-16mm

“The furthest that Brakhage came in extending the language of 8mm cinema
was his editing of *23RD PSALM BRANCH*... the phenomenal and painstaking
craftsmanship of this film reflects the intensity of the obsession with
which its theme grasped his mind. In 1966, out of confusion about the
Vietnam War and the American reaction to it, Brakhage began to meditate on
the nature of war... the fruit of his studies and thoughts was the longest
and most important of the songs... it is an apocalypse of imagination.” –P.
Adams Sitney, VISIONARY FILM.

--- March 9 @ 7:30pm - EC: Stan Brakhage *SONGS 24-29* ---
*SONGS 24-26* (1967/85, 15 min, 8mm-to-16mm)
*MY MOUNTAIN: SONG 27* (1968, 25 min, 8mm-to-16mm)
*MY MOUNTAIN: SONG 27: PART 2: RIVERS* (1969, 33 min, 8mm-to-16mm)
*SONGS 28-29* (1966/86, 21 min, 8mm-to-16mm)
“*SONGS 24 & 25*: A naked boy and flute song; a being about nature. *SONG
26*: a ‘conversation piece’ – a vis-à-visual, inspired by the (e)motional
properties of talk: drone, bird-like twitterings, statement terror &
bombast. *SONG 28*: Scenes as texture. *SONG 29*: A portrait of the
artist’s mother.” –Stan Brakhage

Total running time: ca. 100 min.

*THURSDAY, MARCH 9, 2023*

Venue type: *Live, physical event*
Geospatial Centroid
<https://list-manage.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4b83d0e66f4638a082b103d27&id=6ac3ceabb9&e=857b71a9cb>
12p MST,
CSU Morgan Library Room 203, Fort Collins, CO
*Special Presentation: Eric Theise, Carto-OSC*
Since April 2022 Eric Theise has been manipulating projected digital maps
in collaboration with improvising musicians in Europe and the United
States. His *A Synesthete’s Atlas* takes a unique approach to expanded
cinema, drawing strategies from experimental film & animation, color
theory, the Light and Space movement, and concrete poetry.

He’ll present *Carto-OSC*, an assemblage of open source libraries, data,
and protocols, plus the 1000+ lines of JavaScript that integrates it all
into a touch-surface. He’ll discuss his motivations, use of the Open Sound
Control protocol, offer aesthetic observations, and present video excerpts
of previous performances.

https://erictheise.com/
<https://list-manage.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4b83d0e66f4638a082b103d27&id=80228ab014&e=857b71a9cb>

*___________________________________________________________________*

Venue type: *Live, physical event*
Visual Studies Workshop
<https://list-manage.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4b83d0e66f4638a082b103d27&id=1c2a6cbe6f&e=857b71a9cb>
7 pm EST,
31 Prince Street Rochester NY
*Perceptual Exploration: In Dialogue with Anna Kipervaser*
Anna Kipervaser is a Ukrainian-born artist whose work engages with a range
of topics including human and animal bodies, ethnicity, religion,
colonialism, and the environment. Her dynamic film practice is informed by
a commitment to formal experimentation and incorporates 16mm, digital
video, CT scans, archival images and optical printing. Currently a VSW
Project Space artist, Anna has collaborated with VSW Curator and Director
of Public Programs Tara Merenda Nelson to create a program of her films in
conversation with films from the archive at VSW. Included in the program
are Kipervaser's *With The Tide, with the tide* (2022), *in ocula oculorum*
(2021), *How a Sprig of Fir Would Replace a Feather* (2019), *The Order of
Revelation: Surah An-Najm* (2017/21), and *And By The Night* (2017).

*___________________________________________________________________*

*March 9 - 11*
Venue type: *Live, physical event*
Hammer Museum
<https://list-manage.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4b83d0e66f4638a082b103d27&id=3536013e5c&e=857b71a9cb>
7:30pm PT each night,
10899 Wilshire Blvd. Los Angeles, CA 90024
*Cauleen Smith - In Space, In Time*
In person: artist Cauleen Smith; program curator Steve Anker; independent
curator Jheanelle Brown; and Alena Williams, assistant professor in the
department of visual arts at UC San Diego

*Black Utopia* *LP* Performance + Two Nights of Short Films

The UCLA Film & Television Archive and Hammer Museum are proud to present
three nights of work by Los Angeles-based artist Cauleen Smith with her in
person, including a rare performance of her evolving *Black Utopia LP*
(Thursday, March 9, 2023) and two programs of short films (Friday and
Saturday, March 10 and 11, 2023) at the Billy Wilder Theater inside the
Hammer Museum.

Smith, one of the leading American artists of her generation, defies easy
categorization. Moving compellingly between multimedia installations, slide
performances and a wide variety of films, Smith creates nuanced portrayals
of African diaspora culture and its troubled history in the United States,
as well as the issues facing Black women in contemporary life. Smith’s
films, objects, and installations have been featured in group exhibitions
including the Whitney Biennial, Prospect 4 New Orleans, Studio Museum
Harlem, the Contemporary Art Museum Houston, the New Museum in New York,
and BALTIC Center for Contemporary Art in Gateshead, UK. Additionally, her
films have screened at the New York, Rotterdam, Sundance and many other
international film festivals.

--- Thursday, March 9, 7:30 p.m. Program 1: *Black Utopia LP*
Performance ---
In its first Los Angeles presentation since 2013, *Black Utopia LP*
combines 35mm slide projection with the artist's own vinyl LP into a
90-minute 'film without film' that is both a passionate reflection and a
mashup of contemporary African diaspora culture. Originally created in 2012
during a residency with Chicago’s Threewalls Gallery and most recently
presented in the Rotterdam International Film Festival, *Black Utopia LP*
emerged from Smith’s extensive research on Afrofuturism. The performance
involves history, music, outer space and African divination, and it
especially serves as an homage to the great avant-garde jazz musician Sun
Ra. Each time the piece is performed Smith creates new slides pertaining to
the political moment and current locale, and tonight’s version includes
material recorded in Los Angeles. These location-specific images are added
to a pool of several hundred slides, including objects found in archives or
appropriated from occult, astrological and historical sources. Smith's
double LP *Black Utopia* is a collage of lectures, rehearsals and live
performances by Sun Ra as well as commissioned contributions from Chicago
artists Krista Franklin and Avery R. Young.

--- Friday, March 10, 7:30 p.m. Program 2: Short Films - Black Echoes and
Imperatives ---
A program of nine films that circle around urgent Black voices both real
and imagined, ranging from the present to the past and from renowned
political activists to artistic visionaries. Included are* H-E-L-L-O *(2014),
which re-envisions a somewhat revived New Orleans through a series of
musical street tableaux; one of Smith’s earliest and best-known films
*Chronicles
of a Lying Spirit by Kelly Gabron* (1992); the poignant and elegiac *Crow
Requiem *(2015); the redolent utopian testament *Pilgrim *(2017); ; and *3
Songs About Liberation* (2017), *Human 3.0 Reading List Biblio*
(2015-16), *Sine
at the Canyon & Sine at the Sea* (2016), *The Name You Trust in Good Clean
Family Fun *(2011) and *T Minus Two* (2010).

--- Saturday, March 11, 7:30 p.m. Program 3: Short Films - Epochal Cultures
– Chicago and New Orleans ---
Smith portrays two vital Black urban cultures, Chicago and New Orleans,
through several fantasy and documentary films that focus on creative
personalities and locations that are vital to these great cities. Included
are selections from Smith’s *The Way Out is the Way Two* (2012), a cycle of
fourteen musical and philosophical short pieces made in Chicago; her little
seen, richly expressive short feature, *The Fullness of Time *(2008); and
the astonishing interventionist *Space Is the Place - A March for Sun Ra*
(2011). The program will begin with the theatrical premiere of Smith’s
newest film, *My Caldera* (2022).

*FRIDAY, MARCH 10, 2023*

Venue type: *Live, physical event*
Wolverine Farm Publick House
<https://list-manage.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4b83d0e66f4638a082b103d27&id=5f6eee2475&e=857b71a9cb>
6:30p MST,
316 Willow St, Fort Collins, CO
*A Synesthete's Atlas - Eric Theise & Daniel Zamzow*
Real time cartographic improvisations using projected, manipulated digital
maps by Eric Theise, in live collaboration with Daniel Zamzow’s dreamy
cello sounds. A visual wash of street grids, land masses, water bodies, and
curiosities from built and natural environments. Saturated colors. The
subtlest of tints. Glitches in crowdsourced data. Jittery zooms and pans.
Orphaned information and free-floating symbology.

The performance is presented by the Radical Open Science Syndicate (ROSS)
and the Geospatial Centroid, will last 50 minutes, and will occasionally
introduce strobing effects that may affect photosensitive viewers.

Eric Theise is a San Francisco-based artist and geospatial software
developer. Through video and realtime performance tools he reinvigorates
the perceptual inquiries of structural filmmakers, experimental animators,
op artists, and the Light and Space movement as new possibilities in the
realm of digital cartography.

Daniel Zamzow is a musician and audio producer who most frequently performs
on cello in collaboration with Cloud Cult, Tyler T, and Crispy Watkins.
Daniel’s career began in the Minneapolis music scene, and expanded to
include years of work in community radio, podcasting, and music education.
He now lives in Northern Colorado with his family of musicians.

https://erictheise.com/
<https://list-manage.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4b83d0e66f4638a082b103d27&id=550f12cb6e&e=857b71a9cb>
                    https://danielzamzow.bandcamp.com/
<https://list-manage.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4b83d0e66f4638a082b103d27&id=e95268f042&e=857b71a9cb>

*___________________________________________________________________*

*March 10 - 16*
Venue type: *Live, physical event*
Anthology Film Archives
<https://list-manage.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4b83d0e66f4638a082b103d27&id=8eacc2b83c&e=857b71a9cb>
times vary, see below,
32 Second Avenue, New York, NY
*FRIEDERIKE PEZOLD (PEZOLDO)*
A photographer, performer, and video and installation artist who made one
fascinating excursion into feature filmmaking with *CANALE GRANDE* (1983),
Friederike Pezold (Pezoldo) is an exhilaratingly multi-media artist, and
one who deserves far more recognition in the U.S. than she’s thus far
received. Pezold’s work is defined above all by a preoccupation with the
intersection of technology, media, and the body, a theme she has explored
in many different forms. Born in Vienna in 1945, and educated in Munich,
Pezold is perhaps best known for her photo series and multi-channel video
works which center on – and tend to deconstruct – her own body. Her
feature-length video *TOILETTE* (1979) is emblematic: over the course of 78
minutes, it focuses on and isolates various parts of her body, bestowing on
them a certain monumentality as well as a mysterious (and comic)
abstraction. *TOILETTE* reflects an overriding goal of Pezold’s work: to be
both subject and object at once.

A couple years earlier, Pezold had inaugurated an ongoing project entitled
“Radio Free Utopia”, in which she designed a special apparatus that allowed
her to move through the city shooting video which was simultaneously
displayed, via a closed-circuit feed, on a monitor attached to her body.
“Radio Free Utopia” was a radical and deadpan funny extension of the
utopian ideas of other video artists of the time, who were determined to
circumvent the restricted production and distribution channels of
commercial media networks. It also became the pretext for *CANALE GRANDE*,
whose protagonist – played by Pezold herself – wanders through Vienna and
Berlin equipped with the “Radio Free Utopia” rig. Incongruously,
however, *CANALE
GRANDE* was filmed – beautifully – on 35mm, in part by the accomplished
filmmaker and cinematographer Elfi Mikesch. An unusual and provocative
marriage of film and early video, it combines the visual beauty and texture
of film with early video’s preoccupation with new ways to produce and
circulate imagery, while also reflecting the new medium’s liberation from
the conventions of narrative drama.

Having held CANALE GRANDE in the highest esteem ever since hosting a
screening in 2018, we are thrilled to showcase it for a full week in
February, alongside TOILETTE, and to present the U.S. premiere of Pezold’s
most recent moving-image work, *REVOLUTION OF THE EYES* (2022), a typically
singular, funny, and uncategorizable piece that finds Pezold meditating on
the changes to perception and behavior wrought by the new technologies of
our own time.

This series is co-presented by Sixpack (www.sixpackfilm.com), and with
generous support from the Austrian Cultural Forum New York. Special thanks
to Friederike Pezold (Pezoldo); Susanne Keppler-Schlesinger & Melina
Tsiamos (ACFNY); Dietmar Schwärzler & Gerald Weber (Sixpack); and Sebastian
Höglinger & Peter Schernhuber (Diagonale).

CANALE GRANDE
<https://list-manage.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4b83d0e66f4638a082b103d27&id=ca3f712f34&e=857b71a9cb>
March 10 at 6:30 PM
March 11 at 6:30 PM
March 12 at 6:30 PM
March 13 at 6:45 PM
March 13 at 9:00 PM
March 14 at 6:45 PM
March 14 at 9:00 PM
March 15 at 6:45 PM
March 15 at 9:00 PM
March 16 at 6:45 PM
March 16 at 9:00 PM

TOILETTE
<https://list-manage.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4b83d0e66f4638a082b103d27&id=015d388167&e=857b71a9cb>
March 10 at 8:45 PM
March 11 at 4:30 PM
March 12 at 4:30 PM

REVOLUTION OF THE EYES / REVOLUTION DER AUGEN
<https://list-manage.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4b83d0e66f4638a082b103d27&id=440c8e72df&e=857b71a9cb>
March 11 at 8:45 PM
March 12 at 8:45 PM

*SATURDAY, MARCH 11, 2023* Venue type: *Live, physical event*
Other Cinema
<https://list-manage.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4b83d0e66f4638a082b103d27&id=d1412e2386&e=857b71a9cb>
8pm PT,
ATA Gallery, 992 Valencia (@ 21st), San Francisco, CA
*OPTRONICA1: 16MMPOLYVISION*
K.REEVES + IVY +
In conjunction with East Bay sister-org Shapeshifters, the OC community
eagerly anticipates the first Coast visit by Indiana intermedia
artist Kristin Reeves, here setting up a grid of a staggering
NINE 16mm projectors for her epic *Bodies of Strength and Power*. Between
two live loop-changing *tour-de-forces*, she shares a 25-min. set of
single-channel pieces, including laser-etched animation and cross-media FX.
Reflecting Reeves' format-frenzy, our first half proposes a provocative
trifecta of meticulous meta-media: Ivy Woods' *concrete* *Contrafilm*
performance,
a classic VHS clip of Wet Gates' triple-headed *Psychic Flock*, and yes, an
ultra-rare 16 print of the 1947 *Autobiography of a* *Motion Picture Camera*!
PLUS Gilbert Guerrero with his already legendary home-brew!

*SUNDAY, MARCH 12, 2023*

Venue type: *Live, physical event*
Shapeshifters Cinema
<https://list-manage.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4b83d0e66f4638a082b103d27&id=fdcbea65ee&e=857b71a9cb>
8pm PT,
Mosswood Chapel, 3630 Telegraph Ave, Oakland, CA
*Bodies for Strength and Power: experimental films and projector
performances by Kristin Reeves*
Still and moving media have doubled for the human body since its invention.
By following through on the logic that media is body/human/person/material:
outdated found footage becomes media cadaver to exhume, examine, and
reanimate; video synthesizers model brain signal overload; 9X16mm grid
performs a real-time exercise in crafting a personal narrative within the
limitations of our physical selves. With both found and original media,
visiting filmmaker Kristin Reeves pursues material of resiliency, loss, and
control. This program will include: *What Is Nothing (After What Is
Nothing)* (2017, 9X16mm projector performance), *CSP Closings & Delays*
(2017, 16mm Film to HD video & HD video), *&Human* (2011, SD video),
*Threadbare
*(2010/14, 16mm film to HD video), *Body Contours* (2015, 16mm film to
analog video synthesis), *The White Coat Phenomenon *(2012, VHS to HD
video), *The White Coat Phenomenon* (2012, VHS to HD video), *Music of
Desire *(2017, 16mm film to video using analog video synthesizers), *Je Ne
Sais Plus [What Is This Feeling] *(2012-present, 9X16mm projector
performance).

PLEASE NOTE: This program will be happening at the Mosswood Chapel in North
Oakland not at Shapeshifters.

*___________________________________________________________________*

Venue type: *Live, physical event*
BLO BLACK GALLERY
<https://list-manage.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4b83d0e66f4638a082b103d27&id=754bb73543&e=857b71a9cb>
7p MST,
31 Spring St, Pueblo, CO
*A Synesthete's Atlas - Eric Theise & Bob Marsh’s Spontaneous Combustion
Arts Performance Ensemble*
Real time cartographic improvisations using projected, manipulated digital
maps by Eric Theise, in live collaboration with Bob Marsh’s SCAPE, the
Spontaneous Combustion Arts Performance Ensemble.

A visual wash of street grids, land masses, water bodies, and curiosities
from built and natural environments. Saturated colors. The subtlest of
tints. Unreal spaces for formerly-real sounds. Glitches in crowdsourced
data. Jittery zooms and pans. Orphaned information and free-floating
symbology.

The performance will last 50 minutes, and will occasionally introduce
strobing effects that may affect photosensitive viewers.

Eric Theise is a San Francisco-based artist and geospatial software
developer. Through video and realtime performance tools he reinvigorates
the perceptual inquiries of structural filmmakers, experimental animators,
op artists, and the Light and Space movement as new possibilities in the
realm of digital cartography.

Bob Marsh Invading Space with Sound Line Color Words Shape Voice Motion
since 1944

https://erictheise.com/
<https://list-manage.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4b83d0e66f4638a082b103d27&id=8b13afbecc&e=857b71a9cb>
                    http://www.bobmarsh.net/
<https://list-manage.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4b83d0e66f4638a082b103d27&id=66840c0f43&e=857b71a9cb>

*ONGOING*

Venue type: *Virtual, online event*
Riverwest Radio
<https://list-manage.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4b83d0e66f4638a082b103d27&id=3ddd24f731&e=857b71a9cb>
streaming 24/7
*THE LONG CONVERSATION*
THE LONG CONVERSATION with Xav Leplae and Stephanie Barber is on indefinite
hold. But... all episodes from the last year and a half are streaming!!!

*___________________________________________________________________*

Venue type: *Virtual, online event*
6x6 Project
<https://list-manage.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4b83d0e66f4638a082b103d27&id=26f77f0acc&e=857b71a9cb>
streaming 24/7
*Artists' Moving Image Works*
6x6 project is an online artists' community that serves as a platform for
disseminating artists' moving image works, and to create
an ever-growing network among peers.

There are now more than four hundred artists’ film and moving image works
available to view on the website.

------------------------------

*Let us know about your alternative film/video event!*

Enter your event announcements by going to the Flicker Weekly Listing Form
<https://list-manage.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4b83d0e66f4638a082b103d27&id=a320c6db34&e=857b71a9cb>
.

<https://list-manage.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4b83d0e66f4638a082b103d27&id=d325cfb104&e=857b71a9cb>
 and help spread the word.

At the time of sending this email, we have raised $406, WOOHOO!!! We've
reached our goal for the next year. The fundraiser will remain open until
March 10, in case folks still want to donate. Any amount raised beyond the
initial $375 goal will go towards Mailchimp fees & taxes in future months
and years.

*Copyright © 2020 Flicker, All rights reserved.*
Longtime recipient of This Week in Avant Garde Cinema

This Week in Avant Garde Cinema · everywhere · Cincinnati, OH 45201 · USA