[Frameworks] PXL THIS 33 / 11/14/2023 7pm pst LIVE online

Will Erokan williebenign at gmail.com
Tue Nov 7 19:30:53 UTC 2023

SUN Nov14, 2023 7pm pacific time - LIVE online
PXL THIS 33 Toy Camera Film Festival 2023
https://www.facebook.com/events/850945209382236/
Just enter "PXL THIS 33" on Youtube to tune in, and afterwards view anytime.

PXL THIS 33 PROGRAM
Intro - Gerry Fialka & Bruno Straus

When the Cow Got Out - Joseph Paulson

Chip Yips - Suzy Williams

Moon Curtain - Amanda Samimi

Doing Time With Tehching Hsieh - Joseph, Lee & Val Paulson

Hello Up There - Alex Miller

Can You Believe That? - Ron Grun

I Climbed The Cascades - Jennie Williams

Cali - Gerry Fialka

Finnegans Wake Promo - Roman Tsivkin

Can't Fool Computers - Eric Ahlberg

Free Will - Duncan Echelson

The Owl & The Pussycat - Catherine Allison

The Wren – Roy Benjamin

The Recording Hello Device - Nile Southern & BING

You’ve Just Been Blackballed - Anthony Blackball

Breath - Lior Tzemch

Missing Green - Joey Huertas

Ricky - Fuji Yamamama

Film Making Itself - Gerry Fialka

Decadent Acts of Nothingness - Patrick Gill

Stream of Subconsciousness - Joe Nucci

Dissolving Sounds - Patrick Gill

PXL Pie – Gerry Fialka & Bruno Straus

Documentary – B. Meade
(program subject to change)
Just enter "PXL THIS 33" on Youtube to tune in, and afterwards view anytime.

The PXL-2000 (Pixelvision) is a toy camera, manufactured by Fisher-Price
from 1987-89, that records on quarter-inch audio cassette tape. The low
resolution and high contrast was made for kids, and became an art tool.
Today Pixelators are merging Pixelvision with cell phones and live
streaming. Electronic Folk Art, Lo-Fi Hi-Jinx ! PXL THIS 33 celebrates
visionary moving image artists from seminal experimental filmmakers to
children to homeless to professionals.

SizzleReel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_03oq4cMu5M&t=9s

Contact:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gerry_Fialka

Special thanks to PXL THIS Film Festival co-director Bruno Straus
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lYixmuJyjI&t=9s

PXL THIS 34 - Entry deadline Oct 22, 2024 - pfsuzy at aol.com NO entry fee

Thanks: Mike Sakamoto https://gerryswake.com/ &
https://www.youtube.com/@gfa1930

David Seubert
https://www.library.ucsb.edu/special-collections/gerry-fialka-pxl-and-fialka-interview-archive-pa-mss-245

"PXL is the ultimate people's video." - J. Hoberman, Premiere Magazine.
Pixelvision has screened in recent years at Lincoln Center in New York, and
at LACMA's 3D exhibit in Los Angeles. What's new? It isn't out yet. Gerry
Fialka's book Strange Questions: Experimental Film as Conversation:
https://laughtears.com/strange-questions.html

Compelling interviews with notables in avant-garde cinema offer insights
into moving image art--its creative processes, formative influences, and
hidden psychic effects. Through interviews with George Manupelli, Larry
Gottheim, Chick Strand, Tom Gunning, Lynne Sachs, Jay Rosenblatt, Martha
Colburn, Evan Meaney, Mike Hoolboom, Robert Nelson, and Nina Menkes,
Strange Questions links powerful personal stories with the contemporary
media-scape.

PXL THIS NEWS=

PXL THIS participants are all over the place:

Joseph (Jay) Paulson appears in Martin Scorsese's "Killers of the Flower
Moon".

Roy Benjamin released a new book “Beating the Bounds: Excess and Restraint
in *Joyce's* Later Works”

Nile Southern is working on a documentary on his Dad Terry Southern.

Bruno Straus and Nicole Zwiren just released a new Natural Born
documentary MATERNAL
INTUITION
Patrick Gill is the main PXL Camera repair person
http://www.bentstruments.com/
- http://www.bentstruments.com/
*PATRICK can now adapt your PXL cam with DVR hook-up.*

Please tell us about your news updates, keep us updated, THANK YOU

…and past PXL THIS participants:

Josh Freese played drums on Saturday Night Live with the Foo Fighters on
10-28-23.

Sunny War appeared on Jimmy Kimmel on 3-14-23.

PXL to CELL: Bravo to Brett for this help in adapting the PXL2000 camcorder
to your cell phone: Brett Neese, brett at neese.rocks, contributes this method
of shooting Pixelvision with an Android smartphone. Note that this method
has only been tested using a Google Pixel XL (1) and will probably not work
with an iPhone/iOS device. Google Pixel (1) can be found on Amazon here.

· - The hardest part is first: the camera itself needs to be modified to
support composite video out, as the existing hardware only supports
modulated RF video (essentially, it pretends to be an analog antenna TV
channel.) Patrick Gill, the PXL camera repairman can modify -
patrickg0799 at yahoo.com & http://www.bentstruments.com/
<https://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.bentstruments.com%2F&h=AT3ax11L3ZebnNRGvF0vdlJK-Wuozbx19lTUMRi5GJOVepFp2RsZILRRr1qg_0hvNf9plwAbotuJWZFWq3BHXb2hy7adla2uFDjYVVbwMlWMENuVzvsSRTNR1vswFta88da7qrOdIUwtrTSUpham&__tn__=q&c%5b0%5d=AT3sCZu-1mEqEr7vErXdRXOk-4lytiE6vJbu7e1vNaUQD3LuKpuAl5f87fBP29USePGjnDHXLsNyvWKg5Fd8PeLvYPhL5ntya-FBz6qSHbrsfDC7XKli7QwRHCyVOFPzwcf0qokBXQ7SE3sMaZ_CFMpYTLgkCtsFgZ8DJhD4Gy4M4Lyj_uqt>.
There is also a very old DIY guide here.
· - Then, use a video capture card to process the incoming video and an app
on your phone to interface with the capture card and record the video. We
have had some success with this one.
· - That video capture card has a full-size USB port on it, so it needs an
adapter. If, like the Pixel XL, the Android phone is newer and has a USB-C
port, you'll need something like this. If it's an older phone with a
micro-USB port, grab something more like this. Not all phones have the
ability to plug accessories into the USB port -- do some research to see if
your phone supports "USB OTG."
· - The app we've had the most success with is "USB Camera Pro," available
here. There is a free version that can be used to check if this setup will
work.
Again, not all phones support this and we've only tested it with a Google
Pixel XL (1), so your mileage may vary, as they say. We welcome comments.

PXL THIS 33 celebrates its 33rd year of creative filmmaking by everyone
from kids to professionals. One of the most unique film festivals ever, PXL
THIS has been attended by Oliver Stone, Daryl Hannah, Kim Fowley among many
more. Pixelvision has even made it onto the big screen via Richard
Linklater (Slacker), Michael Almereyda (Nadja, produced by David Lynch) and
Craig Baldwin (Sonic Outlaws). The irresistible irony of the PXL 2000 is
that the camera's ease-of-use and affordability, which entirely
democratizes movie-making, has inspired the creation of some of the most
visionary, avant and luminous film of our time.

"If movies offer an escape from everyday life, Pixelvision is the Houdini
of the film world." - SF Weekly

PXL THIS, featuring films made with the Fisher-Price PXL 2000 toy
camcorder, is one of the longest running film festivals in the
entertainment capital of the world. Celebrating "cinema povera" moving
image art, it evokes Marcel Duchamp's axiom "Poor tools require better
skills." Pixelators from across the globe hoick up inventive approaches to
the unassuming throw-away of consumer culture. These low-tech hi-jinx films
come through loud and clear by reframing a new cinema language. Past PXL
THIS participants have included Lee Ranaldo (Sonic Youth), Chris Metzler
(Fishbone & Salton Sea documentaries), James & Sadie Benning, Joe Gibbons,
Cecilia Dougherty, Peggy Ahwesh, Jesse Drew, Margie Strosser, Cory McAbee
(The Billy Nayer Show), Ann Randolph, Kirsten Stoltmann, and Michael
Almereyda.

"Gerry Fialka's annual PXL THIS is a reliably surprising and seductive
round-up of recent work achieved with the PXL 2000 camera. This humble
outdated toy continues to bring out the visionary child in filmmakers and
viewers alike, and no one has kept the PXL flame burning longer or brighter
than Gerry." - Michael Almereyda, director

"Gerry Fialka's PXL THIS festival snaps, crackles and pops off the screen
with the funky, user-friendly energy of real first-person cinema. Goofy,
gorgeous, and altogether groovy, his provocative program of pieces produced
with the Fisher-Price PXL 2000 toy video camera is not only downright
entertaining, but more, its blipping and buzzing black 'n' white
picture-bits coalesce into a veritable inspiration to all those who cherish
the playful, spontaneous gestures and low-cost of electronic folk art." -
Craig Baldwin, director & curator.

"All the PXL THIS videos reflect festival organizer Gerry Fialka's
commitment to the freedom produced by making art without financial
constraints. PXL THIS is a welcome highlight in the Los Angeles media scene
celebrating the rich lexicon available in a tool which might initially seem
rather limiting." - Holly Willis, LA Weekly.

"Pixelvision may be firmly ensconced in the pantheon of once-popular dead
media, but for many of the faithful it captures the heart of the American
experience as it should be seen: in basic black and white." - David Cotner,
LA Weekly

Seminal film experimental filmmaker Hollis Frampton evokes PXL THIS in 1978
: "I didn't really like the work I thought was my best work. I liked the
stuff I didn't like a lot more." Rewording Jimmie Durham's overhearing
conjures PXL THIS: "Are those real films or did you make them yourself?"

"When the aliens are here and deciding whether to vaporize all mankind for
our inhumanity, cruelty and greed, showing the aliens PXL THIS will save
the world. PXL THIS shows our best nature as humanist creators and
subversives against those who deserve it. Save the world. Support PXL
THIS." - George Manupelli, founder of the Ann Arbor Film Festival,
filmmaker, poet, collagist and political/environmental activist

Pixelvision conjures Bucky Fuller's ephemeralization - the idea of minimal
material with maximum performance. The PXL THIS Film Festival is similar to
what Rachel Kushner wrote about Silvia Kolbowski's After Hiroshima Mon
Amour: "The overall effect is well beyond an avoidance of comparison. It's
refusal of the seductive surface of the Resnais film, as if to coax viewers
out of the trance of filmic nostalgia and toward our own catastrophes and
forgetting, our own longing to be faithful to a moment in the face of
oblivion."

Seminal film critic Pauline Kael evoked Pixelvision in her book Hooked: "I
am still a child before a moving image."
Hollywood Reporter called Pixelvision a "precursor of today's DV
filmmaking."
1- McLuhan quote, "If it works, it's obsolete."
2- One audience member said that with all the great new digital effects and
equipment, it seems as though you could "fix" the picture.
3- PXL pioneer Erik Saks declared many years ago (say what?): "Pixelvision
is an aberrant art form, underscored by the fact that since the cameras
wear out quickly, and are no longer being manufactured, it holds within
itself authorized obsolescence. Each time an artist uses a PXL 2000, the
whole form edges closer to extinction.”
Ain't no stopping us now. Dig infinity...focus.
Watch past PXL THIS festivals online -
http://www.willerokan.com/pxlthis.html and on youtube
Patrick Gill - PXL camera repairman - patrickg0799 at yahoo.com Visit -
http://www.bentstruments.com/
*PATRICK can now adapt your PXL cam with DVR hook-up.*

Gerry Fialka Podcasts: "I'm Probably Wrong About Everything"
https://www.youtube.com/@improbablywrongabouteveryt6781/streams

MoSide Trailer https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKhUyVgvt8Y