[Frameworks] Alternative Film Venues in Boston

Stefan Grabowski stefan_grabowski at hotmail.com
Tue Apr 9 23:12:11 UTC 2024

Hi Ann,

I just thought I'd clarify some points that Bob made.

I joined Balagan in 2011 with Mariya Nikiforova, but since 2014, I've been the only member of the team still living in the Boston area. Balagan remains active as a screening series to some extent, but most of my energies have shifted to the AgX Film Collective, which I helped to start in 2015.

AgX is a collective of filmmakers supporting one another in the creation of film, but we also have a shared lab / workshop, and a small screening room where we host screenings of our own work, along with the work of visiting filmmakers, in Waltham. Usually when I program screenings nowadays, they happen at AgX, but I haven't sworn off hosting events at other venues in the future, so you can tell your friends to follow both the Balagan Film Series on Facebook and join the mailing list if they want to stay apprised of future events:https://balaganfilms.us6.list-manage.com/subscribe?u=3562882bab6879d3eb1bacfe8&id=2f7c451b05

They should also follow the AgX Film Collective and sign up for that newsletter, as we share lots of events organized by different members of the collective. We have a screening organized by AgX member, Raymond Rea, coming up on April 20th:https://agxfilm.org/events/2024/4/20/abortionclinicfilmcollective

Wenhua Shi is also an AgX members and has been programming very actively under the RPM Film Fest moniker. Their website is: http://revolutionsperminutefest.org/

Saul Levine has continued to organize screenings periodically, too. In fact, there's one tonight that he organized alongside AgX member, Mike Piso:https://www.facebook.com/events/1521669001711502

MassArt has likewise continued to organize screenings without Saul, though they don't seem to promote very actively outside their student body. There's one tomorrow co-organized with the Wicked Queer Film Festival:https://blogs.massart.edu/macc/

The Harvard Art Museums and ICA Boston also have nice screening rooms, but I don't believe anyone is actively programming at either space. It's worth keeping on one's radar, anyhow.

Best,
Stefan Grabowski
programmer, Balagan Film Series
founding member, AgX Film Collective