[Frameworks] Lookout Mountain films (Pat O'Neill)

Aaron F. Ross aaron at digitalartsguild.com
Sat Oct 2 15:35:11 CDT 2010

Fantastic!!

I'm really, really inspired by Pat's films being available on DVD. I
hope that more artists take the reins of self-distribution. No
offense to the wonderful organizations that have distributed
experimental films since the 60s. I'm just really excited by the
prospects of the 21st century. This is a great time to be alive. The
idea that I can *OWN* a DVD of experimental film from an established
artist is kind of revolutionary. The old business model, in which the
only way to watch these films was through pricey rentals of 16mm
prints, must surely be on its way out.

remember Pip Chodorov's many well-founded complaints about the DVD
format. The main problem is insufficient data rate in conjunction
with MPEG2 compression, resulting in blocky artifacts in fast-moving
motion pictures. With Blu-ray, all of those problems go away. Now we
have near-35mm resolution, high data rates, and better codecs. I have
had excellent results with the Blu-Ray format so far. It not only
supports HD video, but also standard definition video at frame rates up to 60p!

Incidentally, I did see some compression artifacts in the DVD of
"7362". This could possibly have been avoided if it had been encoded
at 9.5mb/s with AAC audio, instead of 8mb/s with PCM audio.

Anyway, thanks to Pat for making his films available, and thanks to
Beverly for chiming in with the good news!

Aaron