[Frameworks] UbuWeb...HACKED!

Fred Camper f at fredcamper.com
Thu Oct 14 18:44:57 CDT 2010

I have to largely agree with Beth here -- as is well known, people
whose last names begin with "Ca" are unusually smart.

I do think that artists should be able to have their work removed from
the 'Net if they request it, but as I understand it most cites, Ubu
included, were doing that. At the same time, once a cultural product
has been put out in the world, and has influenced others, it should
not solely be considered the "property" of its maker at least in moral
terms, even if, legally, it is, because it has become part of the
discourse.

Quoting Beth Capper <capper.beth at gmail.com>:

> The bad image is perhaps more of an incentive
> to see a pristine print....

I think I posted confirming this a few years back. I was invited to
present six programs of Brakhage films in Rio de Janeiro. Nobody could
remember the last time Brakhage in prints were in that great city. I
carried most of them; some were shipped. The shows wend splendidly.
And many of the people there told me that their interest in Brakhage
had been stimulated by the horrible (and, presumably, illegal) copies
they had seen on the 'Net. They knew these were bad versions, but were
at the least intrigued, and really wanted to see the real thing.

The fact is that prints of the "classics" of our field are just not
available in most of the world, especially the world outside of the
US, Canada, Europe, Australia, and Japan.

Fred Camper
Chicago