[Frameworks] Experimental Media for Middle and High School Students

Tom Whiteside tom.whiteside at duke.edu
Fri Oct 22 12:42:02 CDT 2010

In my experience, 16mm is much better for direct animation than S8, there is more real estate. Also, I have always preferred to work on black leader with bleach and razor blades rather than start with clear leader. Add color to the clear marks you have made and it stands out much better against the black background. If you can get etching points (really sharp, fine metal points) the work is finer - I also like to use the serrated edges from the Saran Wrap box, you get lots of parallel lines, easy to use.  Everyone gets five (or ten, whatever) feet of film to work with, splicing them together into one reel is part of the exercise. If you have a few goofy moments of found footage that can be fun, too. Good luck!