[Frameworks] Experimental Media for Middle and High School Students

Sam Wells silverfilm at gmail.com
Fri Oct 22 14:15:29 CDT 2010

Long shot, maybe, but I'll say it anyway....

It would probably be a bit risky for you (?) to show them a film like
Pedro Costa's "In Vanda's Room" (Vanda and her sister smoke Heroin on
camera) but Costa (for me, the best narrative/dramatic filmmaker now
working bar none) and his method of working with the actual
inhabitants of the Fontainhaus community shows both diginty and
tragedy side by side.; certainly they will not have seen work like
this (depicting an "at risk" society in Lisbon) in any media
(excepting "The Wire" - especially Season 4, to some extent )

But maybe the High School and recent graduates students ?

Another thought, since I'm playing my favorite cards -- since they no
doubt have experience with video games, how about Phil Solomon's "In
Memoriam" trilogy & prelude; perhaps at least "Crossroad" and
"Reherasals For Retirement" ? It would show how deep poetry can be
derived from the space of conflict....

-Sam