[Frameworks] Auteur Television

Ken Paul Rosenthal kenpaulrosenthal at hotmail.com
Mon Aug 16 12:24:34 CDT 2010

As a kid in the late 60'sI thought 'The Electric Company' was the bomb.
Viewed side by side with 'Sesame Street'I could tell the folks who produced 'EC'were putting something different in their breakfast cerealeven though I was took young to conceptualize what that substance might be.
Same with 'Gumby'--I swear it was Gumbythat precluded any interest as a young adultin hallucinagenic substances.
Lastly, I was mad for 'Rowan & Martin's Laugh-in'The quick zooms, and especially the rapid, non-linear editingwas a radical alternative to the status quo.(not to mention Goldie Hawn's tummy).
Very interesting to look back on these (and other shows)to consider the seeds they planted which had no place to blossomuntil we discovered 'experimental film' much further down the road.
Rather difficult to imagine where I'd be--both artistically and physically--at this moment had I not seen 'Dog Star Man' presented by Stan in personat SFAI back around '87.
Ken