[Frameworks] Auteur Television

Ken Bawcom kjbawc at umich.edu
Wed Aug 18 00:05:40 CDT 2010

My favorite PBS, back in the day, was Marshal Ephron's "Great American
Dream Machine." Frenetic social satire, nonfiction. I'd call it auteur
television.

Ken B.

Quoting Ken Paul Rosenthal <kenpaulrosenthal at hotmail.com>:

> As a kid in the late 60'sI thought 'The Electric Company' was the bomb.
> Viewed side by side with 'Sesame Street'I could tell the folks who
> produced 'EC'were putting something different in their breakfast
> cerealeven though I was took young to conceptualize what that
> substance might be.
> Same with 'Gumby'--I swear it was Gumbythat precluded any interest
> as a young adultin hallucinagenic substances.
> Lastly, I was mad for 'Rowan & Martin's Laugh-in'The quick zooms,
> and especially the rapid, non-linear editingwas a radical
> alternative to the status quo.(not to mention Goldie Hawn's tummy).
> Very interesting to look back on these (and other shows)to consider
> the seeds they planted which had no place to blossomuntil we
> discovered 'experimental film' much further down the road.
> Rather difficult to imagine where I'd be--both artistically and
> physically--at this moment had I not seen 'Dog Star Man' presented
> by Stan in personat SFAI back around '87.
> Ken

"Those who would give up essential liberty
to purchase a little temporary safety
deserve neither liberty, nor safety."
Benjamin Franklin 1775

"I know that the hypnotized never lie... Do ya?"
Pete Townshend 1971