[Frameworks] latest hardware for theatrical playback?

Flick Harrison flick at flickharrison.com
Wed Dec 1 19:04:59 CST 2010

Hi there frameworkers,

I'm working on a video design for a ballet performance in the spring.

I've been toying with the idea of using a hard drive-based device for playback, like a Lacie Lacinema or Seagate Free Agent media server.

To be reliable enough, I was expecting to run 2 players in synch, one to the proj and the other as backup, like they do for music.  No streaming, just an internal HD I think is what I'd want.

Anyone have any experience using this type of devices for theatrical presentation?

My main concern, as there'll be live music, is that I can cue the video tracks without seeing "pause," "play" on screen etc.

I could imagine using Blu Ray as well, but I suspect it'd be a bit of a hunt to find one that didn't have the stupid on-screen display that couldn't be disabled...

Plus, playing off an HD saves a step (time and cost) of burning disks after every minor program adjustment during tech and rehearsal etc.

I could just use a couple of computers, but that seems like a more expensive option.

-Flick

--
* WHERE'S MY ARTICLE, WORLD?
http://wikipedia.org/wiki/Flick_Harrison