[Frameworks] film to digi exhibition - its already happening

Aaron F. Ross aaron at digitalartsguild.com
Tue Dec 7 17:07:31 CST 2010

Just one relevant point I'd like to make. The difference in
resolution between 1920 and 2048 is really negligible. We should be
much more concerned with bit depth at this stage in the game. 8 bits
per channel just doesn't cut it anymore. Even 10-bit Cineon is
looking pretty shabby these days. I'm rendering all of my new
computer animation work out to high dynamic range formats, kind of
like a digital negative. This eats up a lot of disk space, but
greatly facilitates quality compositing, grading, and output to
various distribution formats.

The real coming revolution is not in packing in more pixels to the
same screen space. We've already reached the limit of what most
people can see. HD/2K projection is fine for any theatrical
presentation, unless it's a truly massive screen such as IMAX.

The revolution is in higher dynamic range capture and display
devices. Therefore I'm future-proofing my work by maintaining an HDR
signal path through post-production.

Aaron