[Frameworks] cleaning a 16mm camera

Myron Ort zeno at sonic.net
Tue Jun 22 23:43:57 CDT 2010

There was an period where cameras had double sprocket drives, but
also had a single pull down claw which meant the camera could shoot
double perf or single perf film.
The earlier cameras with double pull down claws could only shoot
double perf film stock.

If your camera has the single pull down claw, it will be a simple
matter of filing or carefully grinding off the extra sprockets.
It may sound scary at this point, since you were just thinking how to
clean the camera and now I am talking about modifying it,
but if the sprocket wheels are not easily removed it might even be
possible to (carefully and delicately) use a dremel tool (with vacuum
cleaner nearby and running) to grind off the offending sprocket bumps.

It is a matter of deciding if the camera is destined to be a museum
piece or a useable camera, and how much you want to invest to make it
readily useable, that is hiring an "expert" or engaging a do-it-
yourself approach.

The big questions at this point:
1. is it a double pull down claw?
2. can you see how the sprocket wheels can be removed, and then re-
installed.

mo