[Frameworks] Loops Splicers

David Tetzlaff djtet53 at gmail.com
Sun Aug 7 16:01:59 CDT 2011

> Hey, what are the most reliable joints for 16mm, and witch ones are the less noticeable?

The least noticeable cut is probably the famous "invisible splice", created with a hot-splicer, inserting one frame of black at the edit point and putting the laps from both the head and tail into that black frame. Depending on the brightness of the images being edited the flash frame of black may be noticable, but usually less so than several frames of gooey tape adhesive or the bar across the frame produced by a lap splice.

How well such a splice would project, especially in the context of running repeatedly through the gate in a loop, I cannot say. It is probably more likely to separate than a conventional lap splice, but I don't know how much so.

I'm guessing the answer for the most durable splice is 'it depends', perhaps on the projector mechanism, perhaps on whether your glue is strong and the quality of your scraping technique on a lap splicer, perhaps on the quality of the splicing tape, etc. etc.