[Frameworks] FInal Cut Pro X

Fred Camper f at fredcamper.com
Tue Jun 28 10:35:24 CDT 2011

Even though I haven't worked with video, I'm trying to understand this
because it has huge implications.

If I understand it right, FCP uses a proprietary file format that
other programs, such as Premiere, cannot open? And FCP X won't be able
to open those files either? And FCP will not be installable on newer
Macs? Does this mean that he original files of FCP projects will
become unreadable, and that any way of saving them, such as DVD, will
involve big losses?

This is a general worry about digital files, that newer platforms will
not be able to read them at all. Do digital files thus have a much
shorter expected lifetime than celluloid, even given vinegar syndrome?

For still digital images (which I do work with), there are  tif files,
which almost any image editing program can open, and which are
lossless. Are there equivalent video files? avi? Should there be an
attempt to establish an open source, lossless-as-possible video file
format if there is not one now?

Is the lesson here to never, ever use software that saves in file
formats that are under the control of one corporation?

Fred Camper
Chicago