[Frameworks] Flicker Films

Steve Polta stevepolta at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 24 14:54:29 CDT 2012

Back when I was in art school and was very into "flicker films," I was told by an instructor that there were "three [sic] filmmakers who pioneered the use of flicker," to which I asked "who was the third?" The answer: Victor Grauer. I don't make any claims regarding the statement about "the three" but I've only managed to see one of Grauer's films (at PFA in 2006: http://www.bampfa.berkeley.edu/film/FN15847). I'd be curious to hear more about his work. And I know the films are at the Film-Makers' Coop:
http://film-makerscoop.com/rentals-sales/search-results?fmc_author=303

On May 20, as part of CROSSROADS 2012, San Francisco Cinematheque will screen "FF" (2010) by Deborah Stratman, about which she writes: "A short flicker film [in digital video] adulterated by representational images.  FF
 was an assignment given by artists Melissa Dubbin and Aaron Davidson
who created the soundtrack to which I was asked to make a 'future film.'"
http://www.sfcinematheque.org/#/calendar/201205202/

Finally, I happen to agree with Fred Camper that an "Evening of Flicker Films"-type screening is less compelling programming. In fact I have learned more about these works—how they operate and relate to works of other artists—when they are included in group screenings and allowed to bounce off of other, non-flicker, works. The works of Paul Sharits in particular benefit when "external" concerns (non-formal or "structural" issues; issues outside of reductive formalist interpretation) are introduced into the experience; certain seemingly formalist works of Scott Stark are notable in this sense as well, in the interesting ways that bits of "reality" leak through the cracks of his films' formal structures. But at a certain point in my life I would have been the first in line to see such a "flicker showcase" so, you know, more power to the original poster in all his curatorial endeavors!

Steve Polta