[Frameworks] Film Projectors + University Rules

Scott Dorsey kludge at panix.com
Thu Apr 26 08:49:14 CDT 2012

My personal recommendation would be for the very old B&H 300-series
projectors, because they are manually threaded, they are incredibly light
on film (and the only classroom projectors I would EVER recommend running
a camera original on), and the models with magnetic sound can be easily
modified into double-system interlock projectors.

The problem is that they are very old, and I would want one to be thoroughly
gone over before I put film in it.

But in general, I would suggest just avoiding autoloaders, and avoiding
slotloaders.

Some places that sell theatrical projection gear will have some classroom
projectors around.  Cardinal Sound and Motion Picture in Baltimore,
ICECO in Miami.... Jay Gemski in the DC area.

If you get desperate I can probably sell you a couple rebuilt Pageants...
they aren't anything to write home about but they have been cleaned up nicely.
The Pageants don't have a lower sprocket between the lower loop and the
sound head, resulting in higher sound flutter than you want, and they don't
take standard lenses, but they are not too hard on film and they are easy
to work on.  I think all of mine have modern electronics with line level out
only.
--scott