[Frameworks] Film Projectors + University Rules

Tom Whiteside tom.whiteside at duke.edu
Thu Apr 26 11:25:13 CDT 2012

Over the years I have heard many people say they cannot recommend autoloaders, yes I know I know, but I think this is a matter of personal preference. I've been using Bell & Howell autoloaders for many years and generally do not have any trouble with them.  Many of them have silent and sound speed (important to me), and a variety of lenses are readily available. If you are fortunate enough to have a stock of the Marc 300 lamps (beware - they are no longer made) a 1568 or similar model projects a very bright image. Most of the classroom projectors use bulbs that are not as bright, but are easy to find and relatively inexpensive (BHB, EMM/EKS, ELC.)

ANY projector 30+ years old should be overhauled by a competent technician at this point, so go ahead and pay for the new worm gear on a B&H autoload and you will have -IMHO - a nice workable projector for many years to come.

	- Tom                 Durham Cinematheque