[Frameworks] new critical studies film course in car culture

Tom Whiteside tom.whiteside at duke.edu
Fri Dec 14 14:24:58 CST 2012

Harrod Blank's films about car art. Su Friedrich's "Rules of the Road." Some of the Jam Handy industrial films made for Chevrolet in the 1950's  have been called "Corporate Surrealism," the ones I know that best fit this description are "Hall of Wonders" and "You're Ahead, Mr. X."   Also the Jam Handy Chevrolet "endurance" test films - a pickup truck climbs Pikes Peak off-road in "Meeting the Challenge" (1949), and in "Daring the Darien" three red Corvairs cross the dense rain forest of the Darien Gap, again "off road" simply because there is no road. They cut their way through the jungle with machetes to prove the durability of the Corvair, absolutely ridiculous. There was a rather fascinating doc from the Middle East a few years back, "The Beetle."

And the O. Winston Link photograph from the back of the drive-in with plane on the screen and train passing by. The plane on screen was a trick, but as usual the train was the real deal, that was his specialty. The guy used to set up something like a quarter mile of flashes to get a shot.

                - Tom              Durham Cinematheque