[Frameworks] new critical studies film course in car culture

Chuck Kleinhans chuckkle at northwestern.edu
Fri Dec 14 15:47:02 CST 2012

The about to open, On The Road, and an almost endless stream of road movies in Hollywood.

There's a famous Laurel and Hardy film (whose name I forget at the moment) which includes tearing a car apart in a dispute.

Not about film, per se, but in the 1920s the expansion of relatively inexpensive autos created a certain moral panic around cars as mobile bedrooms for young people who could escape being chaperoned.

Chuck Kleinhans