[Frameworks] new critical studies film course in car culture

Chuck Kleinhans chuckkle at northwestern.edu
Sat Dec 15 20:13:33 CST 2012

for Mobile Homes:

Albert Brooks, LOST IN AMERICA, 1985

if we're going to do motorcycles too: wow, that would be a lot.  How about riding lawnmowers?

But the car film really is a variant on the journey motif, right?  So we'd we have to start, narratively,  with the OT book of Exodus, The Odyssey, the Crusades, etc. sea voyages, and wagon trains west, etc. etc. through space travel.  For the US, at least, the car, the open road, and such are part of a myth of westward expansion, the Turner Thesis, etc.  Might be good to figure out what is the master trope here, and then what the car  specifically contributes to it.

Chuck Kleinhans