[Frameworks] new critical studies film course in car culture

Adam Hyman adam at lafilmforum.org
Sat Dec 15 20:26:53 CST 2012

Most of the suggestions are.  But I think what is interesting about those
very early car films, including the Hepworth film also mentioned, is that
the films are confronting the social anxieties over this new technology, as
it happens.  As such, it's a visual representation of one element of the
industrial revolution, and the general suspicion of it, its dangers, and so
forth.

Contrast that with the industrial films of cars coming of the Ford factory
line in the late teens and 1920s.

Or, another suggestion for a film (or two): A Trip Down Market Street (1905
and 1906 versions).  Just see how there is still no universal socialization
for the separation of cars, horse-drawn carriages, and people.

On 12/15/12 6:13 PM, "Chuck Kleinhans" <chuckkle at northwestern.edu> wrote:

> for Mobile Homes:

Albert Brooks, LOST IN AMERICA, 1985

if we're going to do
> motorcycles too: wow, that would be a lot.  How about riding lawnmowers?

But
> the car film really is a variant on the journey motif, right?  So we'd we have
> to start, narratively,  with the OT book of Exodus, The Odyssey, the Crusades,
> etc. sea voyages, and wagon trains west, etc. etc. through space travel.  For
> the US, at least, the car, the open road, and such are part of a myth of
> westward expansion, the Turner Thesis, etc.  Might be good to figure out what
> is the master trope here, and then what the car  specifically contributes to
> it.

Chuck
> Kleinhans
FrameWorks mailing