[Frameworks] {Disarmed} Re: Andy Warhol's SLEEP / Providence, RI / Feb 18 / Magic Lantern + RK Projects

Damon damonccny at gmail.com
Mon Feb 13 00:09:55 CST 2012

Dear all,

Well firstly, I apologize for posting a provocative, sketchy,
response on the way out the door...  Now having returned, I can take
more time.

Secondly, I was commenting predominantly on Myron Ort's comment: "
Not so much an homage to Warhol as an homage to Youtube!   LOL",
which seems to reduce the presentation wholly to the teenage homages
of pop stars on Youtube that "produce" a music video created from
photographs related to the song only by the presence of the 'artist',
often wholly disjunct stylistically and temporally.  All I wanted to
say was Vexations does have a connection--in the temporal moment of
Sleep and the stylistic shaping of duration.  It is quite fair to
point out that I missed you LOL, which I see now, and even quoted
above.  I'll confess it is an abbreviation I find particularly
annoying; I overlooked it to in the spirit of friendship/
camaraderie.  But it seems we all may be skimming the texts.  For my
misreading, I'm Sorry.

Third, there is a question of revisionist history I am
introducing...  A number of assertions I make trace the language of
the original post from RK Projects and the Magic Lantern Cinema.
Even so, the link I offered does seem to assert a connection in the
first paragraph referencing it to John Cage, who stated it to: "Emma
Lavigne, curator at the Pompidou Centre in Paris, who wrote in an
essay published in the Warhol Live  exhibition catalogue that the
impact made by the Vexations concert "was decisive and inspired the
artist to the unprecedented, repetitive structure of the film Sleep
(1963)".  I also recall hearing a John Giorno poetry reading at MoMA
in which he claims a similar connection for Vexations.  But on
further reflection, Giorno also added to the significance of Cage's
presentation of Vexations, a story of his discussion about Sleep with
Branden Joseph in which the latter connects the repetition and
editing process to Rosicrucian ideas (and that Satie was a Rosicrucian).

Between Giorno and P. Adams Sitney, there are claims from both ends
of the spectrum (poet to historian) that Warhol shot Sleep with 100'
foot rolls.  Giorno even claims in the MoMA interview that Warhol was
even hand winding the camera at the beginning of filming.

However, I still find what Tony Conrad presents compelling.  The
Vexations concert was, in fact, during Sept. of 1963, well before VU
public arrival in the latter half of 1964.  Yet, Cale's gig-ography
on the internets claims the La Monte Young concert at at Henry
Geldzahler's home took place 3/7/65, a year after the Jan. '64
premier of Sleep.  What seems revisionist in the Vexations narrative
is that it seems to reduces Warhol to an acolyte of Rauschenberg/
Johns/Cage, and I believe he was more complicated than that--Contrary
to Warhol's own words.  I'd love to hear more of Tony's thoughts
about the La Monte Young influences.

Damon.