[Frameworks] Re-authored Imagery Culled from Commercial DVDs

Salise Hughes salise.hughes at gmail.com
Mon Jan 2 15:22:44 CST 2012

While fair use should cover most of your concerns, if this makes you
nervous there's a surprising amount of Hollywood films in public domain.
And if you are using a Mac, HandBrake is a good free software for ripping
the DVD then MPEG Streamclip is a good free software for converting that
file into an editable format.

On Mon, Jan 2, 2012 at 12:56 PM, Aaron F. Ross
<aaron at digitalartsguild.com>wrote:

> Hi Ken,
>
> I'm not going to touch the legal questions, but I will recommend some
> Windows software... if you're on the Mac, then I think your options
> would be quite limited.
>
> Most DVD rippers simply remove the copy protection and clone the
> entire disc without changing the .VOB file structure. For that, I
> recommend DVD Decrypter, which is free. Clone the DVD to your hard
> drive first.
>
> Once the encryption has been cracked, then use VideoReDo to extract
> the short clips you need. This is an inexpensive program designed to
> let you edit commercials out of MPEG streams. Using VideoReDo, you
> can extract a clip of arbitrary length directly to an MPEG-2 file,
> which exactly fills the need you described.
>
> Of course, MPEG is a delivery format, not an editing format, so you
> may have mixed results trying to load MPEG clips into your video
> editing program of choice. It's possible that you may need to try
> several different editing applications to find one that works.
> Another option is to use yet another program to convert the MPEG to
> an editable container and codec, such as Quicktime Animation. You
> might be able to use Quicktime Pro Export for that. When I'm in a
> pinch I use a free video conversion program called "Super".
>
> As you can see, it's not a straightforward process, and you have to
> do a fair amount of work to get around the restrictions, but it can be
> done.
>
> Happy culture jamming,
>
> Aaron
>

> At 1/2/2012, Ken Paul Rosenthal wrote:
> >I would like to make a collage documentary consisting of very short,
> >3 to 5 second clips (possibly longer) relative to my theme, culled
> >from pre-1960 Hollywood films. My question is two-fold: First, are
> >there any intellectual property issues regarding image and sound,
> >given the length of the clips? The project won't have a theatrical
> >release, only film festivals and self-distribution. Secondly, what
> >would be the best method for ripping these clips from a dvd of the
> >original source film?
> >
> >Thanks, Ken
> >www.crookedbeautythefilm.com  (Academic)
> >www.crookedbeauty.com  (Public)
> >www.kenpaulrosenthal.com

Salise Hughes
Artist, Filmmaker, Armchair Anthropologist
http://salisehughes.blogspot.com