[Frameworks] Re-authored Imagery Culled from Commercial DVDs

Jen Proctor proctor.jennifer at gmail.com
Mon Jan 2 15:27:12 CST 2012

For guidance on fair use, I'd direct you to the Center for Social Media,
which has published a number of Best Practices documents on fair use in
filmmaking - the Documentary and Online Video documents would probably best
apply to this work. It's not so much about the length of the clips, but
whether the clips are used transformatively, and then only as much as is
needed.

http://www.centerforsocialmedia.org/fair-use

Jen

On Mon, Jan 2, 2012 at 4:22 PM, Salise Hughes <salise.hughes at gmail.com>wrote:

> While fair use should cover most of your concerns, if this makes you
> nervous there's a surprising amount of Hollywood films in public domain.
> And if you are using a Mac, HandBrake is a good free software for ripping
> the DVD then MPEG Streamclip is a good free software for converting that
> file into an editable format.
>
> On Mon, Jan 2, 2012 at 12:56 PM, Aaron F. Ross <aaron at digitalartsguild.com
> > wrote:
>
>> Hi Ken,
>>
>> I'm not going to touch the legal questions, but I will recommend some
>> Windows software... if you're on the Mac, then I think your options
>> would be quite limited.
>>
>> Most DVD rippers simply remove the copy protection and clone the
>> entire disc without changing the .VOB file structure. For that, I
>> recommend DVD Decrypter, which is free. Clone the DVD to your hard
>> drive first.
>>
>> Once the encryption has been cracked, then use VideoReDo to extract
>> the short clips you need. This is an inexpensive program designed to
>> let you edit commercials out of MPEG streams. Using VideoReDo, you
>> can extract a clip of arbitrary length directly to an MPEG-2 file,
>> which exactly fills the need you described.
>>
>> Of course, MPEG is a delivery format, not an editing format, so you
>> may have mixed results trying to load MPEG clips into your video
>> editing program of choice. It's possible that you may need to try
>> several different editing applications to find one that works.
>> Another option is to use yet another program to convert the MPEG to
>> an editable container and codec, such as Quicktime Animation. You
>> might be able to use Quicktime Pro Export for that. When I'm in a
>> pinch I use a free video conversion program called "Super".
>>
>> As you can see, it's not a straightforward process, and you have to
>> do a fair amount of work to get around the restrictions, but it can be
>> done.
>>
>> Happy culture jamming,
>>
>> Aaron
>>

>> At 1/2/2012, Ken Paul Rosenthal wrote:
>> >I would like to make a collage documentary consisting of very short,
>> >3 to 5 second clips (possibly longer) relative to my theme, culled
>> >from pre-1960 Hollywood films. My question is two-fold: First, are
>> >there any intellectual property issues regarding image and sound,
>> >given the length of the clips? The project won't have a theatrical
>> >release, only film festivals and self-distribution. Secondly, what
>> >would be the best method for ripping these clips from a dvd of the
>> >original source film?
>> >
>> >Thanks, Ken
>> >www.crookedbeautythefilm.com  (Academic)
>> >www.crookedbeauty.com  (Public)
>> >www.kenpaulrosenthal.com

> Salise Hughes
> Artist, Filmmaker, Armchair Anthropologist
> http://salisehughes.blogspot.com

Jennifer Proctor
Assistant Professor, Journalism and Screen Studies
Department of Language, Culture, and Communication
University of Michigan-Dearborn

http://www.casl.umd.umich.edu/index.php?id=685157
http://jenniferproctor.com
http://lostinlight.org