[Frameworks] Film and Digital for beginners

Bryan McManus bryanhaysmcmanus at gmail.com
Fri Jul 13 16:32:47 CDT 2012

Hi Jonathan,

Great question, thanks for teaching cinema!  There are, for sure,
appreciable differences between the media - and I know that's what you were
asking for - but I think it may be valuable to mention to your students the
similarities of the media in terms of motivation.  Each, in its time and
way, is an attempt at capturing light/time and reproducing it.

I just bought a manual ceramic burr coffee grinder because my electric one
sparked and died.  I partly went analog because it cannot 'spark and die'
like my previous one.  I partly went analog for nostalgic and meditative
reasons.  But, essentially, each coffee grinder is approaching the same
problem - the whole roasted bean - and applying itself to reduce the bean
to grounds so that one can make a damn cup of coffee.  Instead of
contrasting analog against electronic  - I see them as tools, appropriate
for different times, different moods.  I realize this is very subjective
and blurry - but so is life as I see it.

Also possibly of note - there are very few "films" shot on film, that stay
completely and firmly analog - which to me points even more to the
increasingly subjective choice of either format.  I've only seen Brakhage's
"mothlight" digitally - and would love to see it on film because of the
sound the projector makes.

Best of luck to you,

Bryan

Bryan McManus, Digital Arts Studio Director
cityartsdas.wordpress.com