[Frameworks] Film and Digital for beginners

Aaron F. Ross aaron at digitalartsguild.com
Fri Jul 13 16:48:54 CDT 2012

Wow, what a dangerous topic.  ;)

"Digital" is not a monolith. The difference between consumer
equipment and professional equipment is HUGE.

For example, richer black is eminently do-able in the digital domain,
you just need an expensive projector, and the files must be encoded
properly. Anyway, you almost never get *true* black with emulsion on
celluloid. You'd have to use Kodalith or something to completely
block the light. Release prints always have some bleed-through, don't they?

Digital resolution is highly dependent on numerous variables. Just as
particular stocks and gauges give different grain qualities, so do
particular digital video standards and equipment give different
levels of fidelity. A 4K digital projection roughly corresponds to
35mm motion picture film, but that's a messy, inexact comparison.

DVD = 0.35 megapixels (8mm quality)
1080p Blu-ray = 2 megapixels (16mm quality)
4K Digital Cinema Package = 9 megapixels (35mm quality)
8K projection / UHDTV = 33 megapixels (IMAX quality)

Don't forget that color space is different in digital projection.
Instead of subtractive transparent dyes, in digital projection,
you're working with additive red-green-blue light. To complicate
matters, there are many different color spaces for the digital assets
themselves.

And the color depth is different for different digital formats, too.
Crap formats like DVD use only 8 bits of data per channel. DCP uses
12 bits. That means it has a lot wider dynamic range and also finer
gradations of tone.

The lifespan issue is somewhat mythologized. The concern of
archivists that digital media will "self-obsolesce" is a very valid
one. However, if you are clever, you can future-proof your digital
assets by authoring them to the best possible format and transfer
them periodically to new storage media. The data may not be readable
in a post-apocalyptic scenario, but otherwise the lifespan of digital
media is actually theoretically greater than that of analog media.
This is because digital media can be endlessly replicated with no
generation loss.

The sound issue must be addressed as well. I think it would be
difficult to argue that digital sound is worse than analog.
Traditionally, sound-on-film technologies have sucked, at least until
the advent of Dolby Digital.

Finally, digital cinema opens the door to higher frame rates and
richer colors with new technologies such as laser projectors. Old
fogies seem to hate the heightened sense of reality that these new
methods bring. Film offers a safe haven of limited temporal
resolution that provides a framing effect that some believe enhances
the narrative. I disagree, and can't wait for higher frame rates and
better approximations of how the human eye-brain system works.

A side note... with proper application of digital technology, old
media will often end up looking/sounding better than when they were
first produced. That has most certainly been my own experience.

Aaron