[Frameworks] cfp: Russian and Soviet experimental and documentary films of the Global Arctic

scot.mackenzie at utoronto.ca scot.mackenzie at utoronto.ca
Tue Jul 17 09:20:18 CDT 2012

We are seeking proposals for a volume entitled Films on Ice: Arctic
Imaginations, Landscapes, and Populations in Twentieth Century Moving
Images. Films on Ice is the first book of its kind to analyse the
cinemas of the Arctic from a transnational, global perspective.
Bringing together an international array of scholars and researchers
from the Arctic countries (Canada, the US, Iceland, Denmark, Sweden,
Finland, Norway and Russia), we aim to trace out the key issues facing
the study of Arctic moving images, both those made in the Global North
and those that, for various reasons, appropriate the North to their
own political and aesthetic ends. Much like the moving images of the
Global North itself, our project stretches back to the beginnings of
cinema and forward to the present day. We are centrally concerned with
how the concept of the Arctic is imagined and how these imaginings are
articulated through moving image production. At this time, we are
interested in receiving proposals from scholars who have an interest
in researching and writing on Russian and Soviet Arctic films, broadly
defined (documentary, experimental cinema, propaganda, etc). We are in
communication with a university press and have received quite
enthusiastic responses to the project. If you are interested in
contributing a chapter on a topic aligned with the above, please email
the co-editors Scott MacKenzie (Robarts Centre, Visiting Research
Fellow, York University, Canada, scott.mackenzie22 at gmail.com) and Anna
W. Stenport (Dept. of Germanic Languages and Literature, University of
Illinois Urbana-Champaign, aws at illinois.edu) by August 15, 2012, with
a short, 100-200 words proposal. We will appreciate your broad sharing
of this CFP with anyone you think may be interested.