[Frameworks] Re-submitting to Festivals

Christine Lucy Latimer christinelucylatimer at gmail.com
Tue Jun 5 12:40:09 CDT 2012

The point Dan makes about whether a festival is willing to screen a
slightly older work is a good one. As someone who submits to a number of
festivals, I've found that it can be difficult to submit older/
re-configured works. Many festivals want only new pieces made in the past
1-2 years.

I know more than a few filmmakers who just change the official production
dates/ credits on their projects in order to submit to festivals that have
these sorts of unwavering restrictions. They figure that (unless they've
painstakingly shot their titles and credits on an optical printer or
something and can't re-do them) it's pretty easy to just re-do the credits,
slot in a new year and give the film a bit more longevity festival-wise.

I also know other filmmakers who simply do not choose to follow any
festival guidelines and submit whatever they want (old works and all)
anyway. Their results are divided though between festivals that don't even
acknowledge the broken rules and program the work vs. festivals that send a
curt email back saying "your work was disqualified because it's an older
piece", etc.

Whether or not you're willing to do these things...contact the festivals
you're interested in first and ask if it's okay to re-submit a changed
work, making sure that your correspondence is either with or forwarded to
the programmer. In my experience, it's always easier communicating with
programmers. They're the ones who are eager to see the work.

At the end of the day if you like the work, feel proud of it and want it
out there, there are lots of ways to keep it circulating!  It may just take
a bit more communication to festivals than normal on your end :)

-C.