[Frameworks] Destructive Film Practices pre-1962

John McAndrew jj.mcandrew at gmail.com
Tue Jun 5 12:57:15 CDT 2012

This is pre-1945 obviously and not "experimental" as such, but worth
mentioning anyway as a classic precursor to this practice; the opening
newsreel scene in Citizen Kane (1941) was physically scratched and
manipulated by the editor dragging the film along the floor to give it
the look of a well-worn and traveled film. I'm quite curious to know
if this was the first film to pioneer this technique...

Been a while since I read it and not sure if it offers many film
examples, but Paolo Cherchi Usai's essay/book The Death Of Cinema is
certainly worth a read re: destructive film practices - currently OOP
but I believe it's due a reprint from the BFI very soon.

John