[Frameworks] kickstarter

D Dawson decodawson at shaw.ca
Tue Jun 19 22:28:17 CDT 2012

Bart,

I would say the following:

Will the filmmaker feel the film has an unfair chance at you festival?

    Yes, they may feel that.   You in fact will want to see the finished
film, it is a film you already know about and are interested in.

            - so yes it does increase the filmmaker¹s visibility in your
eyes.   Does that make the film any better?  No.

            - how many films have you Œheard of¹ and then when you saw it
you still didn¹t program it?

            - the film still has to live up to your programming standards
regardless at what phase you encourage the filmmaker.  -- so this doesn¹t
matter.

As a filmmaker I would be happy to know that a programmer was out there
supporting a Kickstarter campaign, when it were finished would I be sure to
tell you and that I was submitting it to your festival?  Of course.   Do I
know that being selected has so much to do with the other films submitted
and less to do with mine.

I would say please support!  There is something about the film/filmmaker
that has you wanting to support it, that is good, and that is more important
than where it ends up, the film needs to be made before it can be screened.
Hey, we all hope it is a natural fit for your festival anyway, so hopefully
you won¹t have to worry about any of this.

Deco