[Frameworks] experimential film in the art world

John Woods jawoods01 at yahoo.ca
Tue Mar 6 01:33:44 CST 2012

>This really does seem a little too cynical.  No one is suggesting any such thing.  I'm just trying to represent the work of someone who is already well-known
>and presumably taken seriously.  And I guess what it takes is being clear about one's expectations and sticking to it.

Yes, that was a dumb, cynical remark I made.  But I do have a genuine question as to what were the circumstances that allowed those artists to achieve their special status in the art world presenting film in a gallery setting?

I'm mainly familiar with Stan Douglas's work of the past decade which includes film & photography (which have sometimes been photos related to a film), so he's got the art school and artist from another field thing in his support but what of Tacita Dean? I havn't seen her work but from my quick study online (ok just wikipedia) she seems to be a filmmaker who happened to be associated with a group of traditional artists who got some notoriety in the late 80s. Clearly she's had a great career, but would the galleries have called if she didn't have famous friends?