[Frameworks] Call For Films

Scott Dorsey kludge at panix.com
Mon May 7 14:27:10 CDT 2012

CALL FOR FILMS

The Arisia science fiction convention in Boston has a film program, the
last SF convention left in the country to actually be showing 16mm and
35mm films.  Arisia is entirely run by SF fans, and is a very nonprofit
enterprise.

WHY US?

Although we run a large number of big Hollywood films, we also try and
run shorts and smaller films.  We go out of our way to show at least one
experimental film a year.  In the past, these have included Angela Scheirl's
_Flaming Ears_, J. Hoberman's _Customs and Immigration_, Carolyn Macartney's
_The Dreaded Beard_, Robert Houllahan's _Psychic Alchemist_, Craig Baldwin's
_Spectres of the Spectrum_, La Jetee, and other films that aren't aimed at
the typical science fiction fan but will make them think about what film is
and what it should be.

WHAT DO WE WANT?

We want narrative films, available on 16mm or 35mm, with some sort of science
fiction theme.  If it requires some thought or some audience preparation
to follow the narrative, that's fine.  Who decides what is a science fiction
theme?  A committee of judges whose decision may in fact be totally arbitrary.
Actually, it might just be me.  We want films that make people think about
the nature of the universe and of technology.

HOW DO I SUBMIT MY FILM?

You send a non-returnable DVD or VHS screening copy to:

Arisia
Attn: Scott Dorsey
PO Box 1229
Williamsburg, VA. 23187

Along with some indication that you want it to be considered for the Arisia
film program and how someone can get in touch with you if it is selected.

ARE YOU INSANE?

Quite possibly.