[Frameworks] Recommended splicer for both 16mm and 8mm cuts?

Tom Whiteside tom.whiteside at duke.edu
Wed Sep 12 12:04:32 CDT 2012

A few notes -  a "hot" splicer is a cement splicer. It need not be hot to use it, my Maier-Hancock has always been used cold (just don't plug it in). Film cement does not work on ESTAR (mylar) film stocks. Cement splices cannot be undone and re-made, so if you change a splice you lose one frame on each piece of film. You need film cement, not glue.

A tape splicer will work on all types of film stock (ie, acetate and ESTAR bases) and is also handy for repairing broken perforations on film. Good tape splicers cut on the frameline, so if you wish to redo a splice you need not lose any frames, just peel off the tape and go again. You need splicing tape.

The Kodak presstape splicer is cheap and plentiful and can work on reg 8, super8, and 16mm, but I recommend it only for emergency use. Presstapes are band-aids.

If you can align the film accurately, a razor blade and some perforated splicing tape is the simplest method and it can work fine. "If you can align the film accurately" - that is the tricky part.

Tom Whiteside            Durham Cinematheque