[Frameworks] Crystal Palace Experimental Film and Video Festival - launched in New Haven CT!

Liena Vayzman liena_vayzman at hotmail.com
Fri Sep 28 00:21:27 CDT 2012

Hello all, a few months back I posted a call for submissions here for the Crystal Palace: 1st ArtSpace Experimental Film and Video Festival that I started in New Haven CT. I'm pleased to say the fest will premiere on OCT. 5, playing til Oct. 22 with continual looped showings of 21 gems of experimental film and video. I'm doing a curator talk / special screening / artist Q&A with Bobby Abate on Oct. 18 at 7pm. All free and open to the public. Location: ArtSpace, 50 Orange St., New Haven CT. Theme is crystals, gems, and multiple facets, in a 21st century digital media transmutation on the 1851 Crystal Palace. Deleuze said that films are like crystals, n'est-ce pas?   More info: http://artspacenh.org/ Press: as the Yale Daily News sez, it's the "avant-garde, crystallized"http://www.yaledailynews.com/news/2012/sep/14/avant-garde-crystalized/ Traveling program: kicks off on the left coast with screening at Krowswork in Oakland, California in December, ATA in San Francisco, & now booking more sites worldwideContact: please get in touch if interested in hosting a screening of Crystal Palace by emailing liena_vayzman at hotmail.com. Thanks!CRYSTAL PALACE: 1ST ARTSPACE EXPERIMENTAL FILM AND VIDEO FESTIVAL21 gems of international film+video art screening continually Oct. 5-22, 2012 Plus nightly projections after dark outside the Crown St. window of ArtSpace Special screening with curator + artist talk: October 18, 7:00pmOrganized by Liena VayzmanCrystal-themed, crystallizing, and multi-faceted video art and experimental films in this festival take as points of departure the cultural, scientific, spiritual, and mathematical associations of crystals, gems, and glass. Like the original Crystal Palace plate-glass building, a marvel of engineering constructed by Joseph Paxton for the Great Exhibition of 1851 in London, ArtSpace's Crystal Palace illuminates and amazes with innovative digital and film art of our time. Crystal balls and handmade prisms, shamanic journeys and Indian salt mines, psychadelic Crystal Light drink mix and Victorian animation, mirrors on 16mm  and windows on HD -- and even crystals grown on a celluloid filmstrip -- all glimmer on our magic screen. Total running time: 2 hours, continual loop.  Participating Artists & Works: Abigail Child (New York)  - Peripeteia IIAlexander Stewart + White/Light (Chicago) - CrustsBobby Abate (Brooklyn) - GossipCade Bursell (Carbondale IL) - Salt LinesCara Levine (San Francisco) - It Ain’t Me You’re Looking ForEric Stewart (San Francisco) - StrataFilipe Rodrigues Afonso (Lisboa, Portugal) - Atracados/MooredJen Cohen (San Francisco) - Venus+XJessica Miller (San Francisco) - Polarity Convergence John Stone (New York) - Fearful SymmetryKathleen Quillian (Oakland) - Fin de Siecle Leigh Orpaz (Tel Aviv) - Ice Swan Michael Lasater (South Bend IN) - Crossing Berlin 1927Patrick Tarrant (London) - Everything is Everyday Rebecca Nijdowski (San Francisco) - from Black Sun seriesRKDB (Oakland) - Interdimensional Pew RoomShambhavi Kaul (Mumbai, India / Durham NC) - Scene 32Shana Moulton (Brooklyn) - Whispering Pines #8Suzy Poling / Pod Blotz (San Francisco) - Natural PowersThorsten Fleisch (Berlin) - Kosmos and Energie!