[Frameworks] HD cam 24 vs 25? vs DCP?

David Tetzlaff djtet53 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 13 00:28:16 UTC 2013

I'd recommend getting your film transferred to the highest quality codec available, then converting it to whatever you need on your own (or a friend's) computer (if you don't have a Mac).

HD-CAM IS NOT FULL 1080P RESOLUTION!
It's a now technologically obsolete tape format that uses an anamorphic frame to get within the recording bandwidth of the tape apparatus.

You'll want your film outputted to a file on a hard-drive regardless, not to any form of tape. If the transfer service can't do that, f**k 'em, and find someone who can.

Assuming you have access to a Mac, I'd recommend ProRes 4:4:4. Not that you'd ever send it out in that, but as a 'best-quality' master. I assume DCP would be better (??) but I don't know of any software you could use to downconvert it.

If it's shot at 24fps, get it transferred at 24fps. If you need to send it out to PAL-land, they might have 24fps capability... And if they don't, you can do the 24-25 conversion yourself in software. That way you have the option of doing a 1frame=1frame conversion so every frame remains intact but it just runs a little faster, or you can do a transfer that preserves the running time, and uses some algorithm to blend frames to make up the difference. If you're using something like Apple Compressor to do that (24-25), there are lots of different settings you can manipulate to make sure you get the best possible quality, and it will take days to render as a result. So again, you'd want to only do this once, and use your 24fps master to create a 25fps 'master' in the best codec available, from which you would then create whatever 25fps distribution versions you would need...