[Frameworks] HD cam 24 vs 25? vs DCP?

Pip Chodorov frameworks at re-voir.com
Fri Dec 13 01:21:23 UTC 2013

I agree. HDCam-SR is a preferable tape master (but expensive to read
from because only big labs have the players). A ProRes file is
definitely more useful to work with, though a physical tape master is
reassuring to have.

24PFS is the most compatible framerate for film original and HD
projection including DCP. If you then make a downconverted SD version
on beta or as an SD file then 25fps is the standard for that version.

Watch out for DCP - this is an encoded file package like a DVD and
certainly not a master element. It cannot be accessed or copied. It
cannot even be read from in real time - it has to be ingested into
the server. It is only useful for screenings in cinemas that are
equipped. You are right to worry about servers and platforms - some
DCPs don't play on all systems. But DCP has become the Hollywood
standard to replace release prints.

It is handy to have available for potential screenings an HD ProRes
file, a Blu-Ray disc, and/or a DCP, an SD file, a beta, a DVD... But
for preservation, archiving and future compatibility,the best master
now is a 2K file, either in DPX or ProRes 4:4:4 or as tiff images.
Down the road you will be able to convert that into anything you will
need and you could even make a 35mm negative from it, which is the
best solution of course.

-Pip