[Frameworks] HD cam 24 vs 25? vs DCP?

todd eacrett hellbox at agit-prop.com
Fri Dec 13 07:25:24 UTC 2013

 From a presentation perspective, I'd nix both of the rapidly
obsolescing HDCam and Blu-ray in favour of a ProRes file. Blu-ray is a
pita for screenings. I've had discs that tested fine one day then
wouldn't read the next. Even with a BR data drive and the software it's
a slow and potentially lossy process to rip it back to a file.

  If you're sending out a physical object (hard-drive/memory stick)
with files on it, consider including multiple versions with different
resolutions and/or bitrates. When I have the time to re-encode a file
I'm pretty careful, but if I have to do so an hour before a screening,
not so much.

  You don't mention the running time, but a file that can be
up//downloaded is theoretically cheaper/faster than shipping a tape or
disc. At least it pushes the economic and environmental costs of the
server farms onto the next generation.

Cheers,

Todd Eacrett
Victoria BC Canada