[Frameworks] Defense of Lawrence Brose - The Censorship Show

defensefund at lawrencebrose.com defensefund at lawrencebrose.com
Fri Feb 1 03:03:28 UTC 2013

Dear friends and supporters,

This is a new Call for Work being sent out by Termite TV for filmmakers to
create a film/video response to Lawrence’s case.  Please see below and
spread as far as possible.

The Censorship Show

Triggered by the case against experimental filmmaker Lawrence Brose,
Termite TV (www.termite.org) is producing a show about art and censorship.

Background: Lawrence Brose is an internationally-known award-winning gay
experimental film artist who has created over thirty films since 1983. In
November 2009, Lawrence was charged in federal court with possessing
internet images of child pornography, including 100 images from his most
famous, internationally-shown film, DE PROFUNDIS. Despite maintaining
complete innocence, Lawrence lost his job as Executive Director of CEPA
Gallery; was forced to hire a lawyer, which depleted all his savings; and
many of his freedoms, such as the freedom to travel have been severely
restricted. Since the arrest many facts have to light that call the
charges against him into question. A detailed description about the case
can be found at http://lawrencebroselegaldefensefund.com/. A good article
about the case, “The United States vs. Lawrence Brose: A Butterfly on the
Wheel” by William Altreuter can be found here:
http://www.artvoice.com/issues/v11n45/guest_essay

Purpose of program: In this program we seek to show our solidarity with
Lawrence Brose by addressing some of the pertinent issues this case raises
(such as artistic censorship, prosecurial overreach, freedom of speech,
criminalization of gay art), as well as related issues connected to
Lawrence and his artwork. As this case is still ongoing Lawrence himself
cannot be interviewed for this program. Experimental work is welcome.  We
are interested in pieces that captures some aspect of the emotional and
intellectual impact of this case and the events surrounding it. Please
contact coordinating producers Dorothea Braemer at dorothea at termite.org or
Joanna Raczynska at RACZYNSKA.JOANNA at GMAIL.COM to discuss your idea before
you submit work.

Deadlines:

Friday, March 29: Proposals for show segments (segments should be no
longer than 5 minutes long) – Please contact us via e-mail to discuss your
idea!

Friday, July 26: Finished pieces are due.
August/September: Show will be assembled.
September/October: Premiere screening

We look forward to hear from you!

Dorothea Braemer (dorothea at termite.org)
Joanna Raczynska (RACZYNSKA.JOANNA at GMAIL.COM)

We cannot express our gratitude enough for the outpouring of help.  There
is a growing momentum of support, but we do need to remind all supporters
that we need to raise a significant amount of money to defend Lawrence's
innocence and help him reclaim his life.  Lawrence's legal defense has
depleted his life's savings.

Tax deductible donations to Lawrence's defense can be made through the
National Center for Reason and Justice.   http://ncrj.org/lawrence-brose/

NCRJ works for child-protective laws based on science, fairness, and good
sense, and supports people who are falsely accused or convicted of crimes
against children.

Also, please visit the defense fund website
http://lawrencebroselegaldefensefund.com/ The website continues to update
with supportive testimonials and contributions to the art sale to benefit
Lawrence's defense.

To all who are receiving this email, please let us know if you do not want
to receive these updates.

For everyone else, PLEASE SHARE THIS WITH YOUR FRIENDS AND COLLEAGUES.  We
also invite supporters to send us their comments and suggestions for
spreading the word and seeking support.  We are confident that justice
will prevail for Lawrence Brose with your help.

Sincerest regards,

The Defense Fund Team
defensefund at lawrencebrose.com

www.lawrencebroselegaldefensefund.com