[Frameworks] This week [January 12 - 20, 2013] in avant garde cinema

Lawrence Brose lawrencebrose at gmail.com
Sat Jan 12 18:52:58 CST 2013

Thank you for including the petition for my defense in your listings.  The
correct link is:
https://www.change.org/petitions/to-the-united-states-attorney-for-the-weste
rn-district-of-new-york-dismissal-of-the-indictment-of-lawrence-brose

Please use this in future announcements.

Thank you!

Lawrence
--
Lawrence Brose
Film Artist & Curator

On 1/12/13 1:57 PM, "Weekly Listing" <weeklylisting at hi-beam.net> wrote:

> [...]
>  *  Japanese Underground Cinema: Takahiko iimura [January 12, New York, New
> York]
>  *  L.A. Filmforum Presents Carolee Schneemann: New videos of the Performing
>     Artist [January 13, Los Angeles, California]
>  *  Shapeshifters Cinema Presents John Davis and Joshua Churchill [January 13,
> Oakland, California]
>  *  The Cinema of Transgression Festival [January 15, Brooklyn]
>  *  Go Starboard With Mike Kuchar [January 15, New York, New York]
>  *  Nick Zedd Presents Cinema of Transgression Festival [January 16, Brooklyn]
>  *  Avant-Garde Masters: A Decade of Preservation [January 16, New York, New
> York]
>  *  Nick Zedd Presents the Cinema of Transgression Festival [January 17,
> Brooklyn]
>  *  Eye Mask : Mergeemerge [January 17, Stanford, CA]
>  *  Artsemerson: the World On Stage Presents: Freedom Riders [January 18,
> Boston, Massachusetts]
>  *  Artsemerson: the World On Stage Presents: Talk To Me [January 18, Boston,
> Massachusetts]
>  *  Nick Zedd Presents Cinema of Transgression Festival [January 18, Brooklyn]
>  *  Stuart Sherman 16mm Films [January 18, New York, New York]
>  *  Artsemerson: the World On Stage Presents: Akeelah and the Bee [January 19,
> Boston, Massachusetts]
>  *  Artsemerson: the World On Stage Presents: Can We Talk [January 19, Boston,
> Massachusetts]
>  *  Do the Right Thing [January 19, Boston, Massachusetts]
>  *  Nick Zedd Presents the Cinema of Transgression Festival [January 19,
> Brooklyn]
>  *  Mother [January 19, New York, New York]
>  *  Stuart Sherman 16mm Films [January 19, New York, New York]
>  *  Stuart Sherman videos [January 19, New York, New York]
>  *  Medicine For Melancholy [January 20, Boston, Massachusetts]
>  *  The Art of vision: Honoring Stan Brakhage [January 20, Los Angeles,
> California]
>  *  Rice/Richter/Sharits Program [January 20, New York, New York]
>  *  Stuart Sherman Solo Spectacles [January 20, New York, New York]
>  *  Stuart Sherman Group Spectacles [January 20, New York, New York]
>

> Events are sorted by CITY within each DATE.
>
> --------------------------
> SATURDAY, JANUARY 12, 2013
> --------------------------
>
> 1/12
> New York, New York: Anthology Film Archives
> http://www.anthologyfilmarchives.org/
> 4:00 pm, 32 2nd Avenue
>
>  ROBERT NELSON
>   THE GREAT BLONDINO 1967, 42 min, 16mm. Newly preserved print; thanks to
>   the Academy Film Archive! "The original Blondino was a 19th-century
>   tightrope artist who among other feats crossed Niagara Falls trundling a
>   wheelbarrow. In this film, Nelson sees Blondino as a metaphor for those
>   who still try. Too subtle to be allegorical, the picture is in the shape
>   of a quixotic search in which the goal is the journey and the means is
difficult to get at the rich
> [...]
>   Churchill..,. The evening includes film projected by John with live
>   soundscapes created by Joshua, followed by a collaborative musical
>   performance accompanying live synthesized video feedback. About the
>   Artists: John Davis works with moving images and sound, expanding their
>   relationships through experimentation, chance, collaboration and
>   improvisation. Current performance work investigates various sound and
>   image delivery systems, their material bi-products, and the range of
>   sensory possibilities that exists between them. Joshua Churchill's work
>   includes immersive site-specific sound and light installation,
>   photography, and experimental music/noise. His dynamic works compel one
>   to be critically aware of their surroundings by exploring the aesthetic,
>   emotive, and structural qualities of the environments in which they are
>   situated and/or are examining. Admission is free! Check out our Facebook
>   event page: https://www.facebook.com/events/321882947920167/ For more
>   info, visit: http://shapeshifterscinema.com/
>
> -------------------------
> TUESDAY, JANUARY 15, 2013
> -------------------------
>
> 1/15
> Brooklyn: GlassHouse
> http://dotan-perry.com/our-glasshouse-home
> 9 PM, 246 Union Ave, Brooklyn, NY 11211
>
>  THE CINEMA OF TRANSGRESSION FESTIVAL
>   A talk by Nick Zedd, Kembra Pfahler and Michael Chaiken, followed by
>   screening of documentaries about The Cinema of Transgression and
>   continuing with experimental films from the 60's and 70's such as films
>   by the Vienna Actionists.
>
> 1/15
> New York, New York: Anthology Film Archives
> http://www.anthologyfilmarchives.org/
> 7:30 pm, 32 2nd Avenue
>
>  GO STARBOARD WITH MIKE KUCHAR
>   FILMMAKER IN PERSON! An icon whose renown reverberates well outside the
>   small world of experimental cinema, Mike Kuchar has been in constant
>   pursuit of his muse since his earliest days drawing and shooting 8mm
>   films in the Bronx. Bold hues illuminate artificial atmospheres in his
>   glamorously gleaming films and videos, all of which were made for
>   pennies on the dollar. Ambience in a Mike Kuchar film is as much of a
>   character as his lovelorn protagonists. Kuchar's attention to color is
>   similarly expressive, especially in the way he uses light to invest his
>   already ethereal images with deeper emotional and comical resonance.
>   This program brings together three new works with Anthology's recent
>   preservation of GREEN DESIRE, the filmmaker's second 16mm production
>   following his revered SINS OF THE FLESHAPOIDS. Two of the videos are
>   stunning pieces made with the students in his class at the San Francisco
>   Art Institute. They are without a doubt among the strongest works of his
>   lengthy career and should by no means be missed by Kuchar fans and
>   thrill-seekers alike. MELTDOWN 2012, 12 min, digital video. "Waiting to
>   live" and "Waiting to die" are the same thing
or is he just plain "Mad"?
> [...]
>   What begins as a one-night stand neither truly remember bleeds into a
>   day neither of them will forget. Set against the monotone background of
>   San Francisco, the couple deals with the racism, gentrification and
>   prejudice the city can frequently offer, while experiencing the thrill
>   of new love in this modern urban romance. With as much heart as it has
>   substance, this independent film was a hit during the 2008 festival
>   circuit and became one of the most successful indie-flicks of the year.
>
> 1/20
> Los Angeles, California: Redcat
> http://www.redcat.org/
> 5:00pm, 631 West 2nd St., Los Angeles, CA 90012
>
>  THE ART OF VISION: HONORING STAN BRAKHAGE
>   With a lifelong devotion to filmmaking as a radical and resolutely
>   personal practice, Stan Brakhage (1933–2003) completed more than 350
>   films that explored cinematic vision as a means of poetic expression and
>   pushed the boundaries of cinema as art. Defying traditional film
>   language, his distinctive techniques—expressive camera movement,
>   intricate editing, subtle superimpositions, photographic abstractions
>   and painting directly on the film surface—contributed to a singular,
>   humanizing sensibility. Ten years after his death, Brakhage is
>   celebrated on the occasion of his 80th birthday with two programs of
>   major early works: a rare screening of The Art of Vision (1961–65, 255
>   mins.), his monumental and deeply meditative deconstruction of Dog Star
>   Man, and a second evening devoted to eight short masterworks newly
>   restored by the Academy Film Archive, from the seminal psychodrama
>   Reflections on Black (1955), to his landmark ode to subjective seeing,
>   Anticipation of the Night (1958).
>
> 1/20
> New York, New York: Anthology Film Archives
> http://www.anthologyfilmarchives.org/
> 4:00 pm, 32 2nd Avenue
>
>  RICE/RICHTER/SHARITS PROGRAM
>   Ron Rice CHUMLUM (1964, 23 min, 16mm) With Jack Smith, Mario Montez,
>   Gerard Malanga. "One of the underground's best and most influential
>   films." –Peter Gidal Hans Richter RHYTHMUS 21 (1921, 3 min, 16mm, b&w,
>   silent) "Its content is essentially rhythm, the formal vocabulary is
>   elemental geometry, and the structural principle is counterpoint of
>   contrasting opposites." –Standish Lawder EVERYTHING REVOLVES, EVERYTHING
>   TURNS / ALLES DREHT SICH, ALLES BEWEGT SICH (1929, 9 min, 16mm, b&w,
>   silent) Paul Sharits N:O:T:H:I:N:G (1968, 36 min, 16mm) Preserved by
>   Anthology Film Archives with support from the National Film Preservation
>   Foundation. "Based in part on the Tibetan Mandala of the Five Dhyani
>   Buddhas/a journey toward the center of pure consciousness (Dharma-Dhatu
>   Wisdom)/space and motion generated rather than illustrated/time-color
>   energy create virtual shape/in negative time, growth is inverse decay."
>   –P.S. "In essence there are only three flicker films of importance,
>   ARNULF RAINER, THE FLICKER, and N:O:T:H:I:N:G
 In terms of the subject