[Frameworks] 16mm Eiki projector lens help

David Tetzlaff djtet53 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 4 18:44:05 UTC 2013

> I took out the lens and noticed that there is a thick dark red grease on the threading of the lens itself, and also buildup in the threading connected to the focusing knob. I don't know much about this....should I clean this buildup or do I need more grease? Could this be reason why the lens won't move?

That's not grease. It's decomposed goo from what was once a rubberish capstan that moved the lens.

CLEAN IT ALL OFF RIGHT NOW! AND THEN CLEAN THE FILM PATH!

That stuff will migrate into the gate and destroy the film you are projecting.

You can repair the focus knob using my method as Roger linked, or with Alain's technique using small o-rings you should be able to get in the plumbing depart of a "real" hardware store (not Home Depot probably).

> The screw holding the lens in place seems a bit stripped and needs to be tightened. Could this also be the issue?

The screw just keeps the lens from falling out if you keep moving the (working) focus knob toward the front. Since I want to be able to change lenses for different focal lengths readily, I just leave the screws off.