[Frameworks] Travel Tripods

k. a.r. a_r_k_ at hotmail.com
Thu Jul 18 18:59:36 UTC 2013

Hi there. When I go on my documentary shoots to Mexico, I always just use a cheapo tripod.
(I use a video camera that is slightly lighter than a bolex, but about the same size)
I get the tripods on ebay for 25-30$.
The cons:
- they are not good for much more than a static shot, the panning and tilted are not acceptable
for when you are recording/live.
- they are pretty cheaply made, and usually bits start falling off of them before the trip is over, although they still function....
- buy it well in advance that you have time to check it out, and make sure it will do what you need. I had one that was impossible to get level and that was a lot of fun......  not

The pros:
- it's a 25$ tripod.
-it's lightweight and small, easily fits in the the suitcase.
- for me, shooting in a third world country, I dont want to be going around showing off that I have good quality, expensive gear.
It looks like garbage, and that's fine with me!
 - If it gets stolen, it's a 25$ tripod.......

Good luck!

Kristie Reinders, B.F.A.

Director of Cinematography, Electric Visions

Curator and Head Projectionist, Electric Mural Project

The Mission, San Francisco, CA

'A first class technician should work best under pressure.'

- - - Issac Asimov