[Frameworks] Mac for FCP

Yiorgos Nalpantidis gnalpan at gmail.com
Fri Mar 1 12:35:24 UTC 2013

Hi Gene,

It depends on your needs.
Are you working on DV or HD? Do you plan to do heavy color grading,
and use of "heavy" plugins/visual effects? Do you care about render times?

The current 13'' model does not have a discreet graphic card, so you won't
be able to use color
or motion. If you just want to edit footage and a little color correcting,
it'll be OK.
The 15'' models are better, I'd go with the higher configuration (if
affordable).
I would also suggest a used 17'' model (the PCIexpress card slot is
valuable).
Consider an external HD for your footage. You should not use your
internal HD for editing.

I also second Marco's suggestion for sticking with FCP (and not FCX).
It is fully compatible with Mountain Lion (according to Apple).

best, yiorgos

> On 28 February 2013 18:06, Gene Youngblood <atopia at comcast.net> wrote:
>
>>   Colleagues,
>> I’d appreciate opinions about which Mac laptop configuration is optimum
>> for running FCP (model, specs, etc).

Yiorgos Nalpantidis
film/video maker&editor
Athens, Greece