[Frameworks] Mac for FCP

Jason Halprin jihalprin at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 1 15:10:22 UTC 2013

I've been in on this discussion A LOT lately, and here's my 2 cents. I
am not a professional editor, but I do teach video production for a
living. FCP X has a few distinct advantages over the previous version,
mainly the ability to make your own VFX using Motion templates, ability
to use the graphical interfaces for audio plug-ins from Logic and other
programs that are identical, the ability to handle multiple codecs and
formats within the same timeline, and the almost real-time ability to
preview VFX and SFX.

That being said, I completely understand why
 users who have experience with different Pro-level NLE software do not
like it. It is designed to for a basic user to be able to learn how to
edit quickly, without needing to know about the more advanced
functionality. As such, most of the Pro-level functionality is there,
you just
 have to find it. And I stress It is still very much a work in progress,
 and it is accurate to say that a large percentage of professionals who
utilized FCP 7 have abandoned the platform. If you have learned to use
FCP 7 and earlier versions, there may not be a need to continue with FCP
 X, but there is the issue of continued support from Apple, which is
there for X and not for previous versions.

It was a bit of a
struggle to get through my first project, and there's certain features
that I miss (such as an easy bounce of my audio to another program for
mixing and sweetening), but I've also seen good work from first semester
 video students in FCP X. After using it and getting the chance to
problem solve for newbies, I declare the glass is neither half empty nor
 half full. If you aren't well versed in the previous versions, or even if you are, there are many ease-of-use advantages to the new arrangement.

-Jason Halprin