[Frameworks] Video works unviewable due to lost apparatus?

Beebe, Roger rogerbb at ufl.edu
Wed May 15 13:51:08 UTC 2013

One of my grad students, Marina Hassapopoulou, has just finished a dissertation about Interactive Cinema, where she talks extensively about such lost works and also about the problems of "remediation" (representation of these works in forms and on platforms other than the original).  She traces the history of IC starting in the 50s and 60s and reconstructs what she can from the documents available about these works and their presentation.  It's all very interesting stuff.

Another former student who might prefer to remain nameless was talking about the situation of digital works that had been acquired by MoMA.  Apparently they only collected the media (like DVD-ROMs) and didn't have the foresight to think about the hardware and software necessary to play them back.  Not sure what kind of progress they're making on creating emulators or digging up the original technology since she told me about this several years ago, but it is an interesting (and obvious) dilemma.

Isn't this why we on this list are making works on super 8mm and 16mm?  No worries about my 40-year-old projectors suddenly being incompatible with my prints...

R.